Eccentricity of orbits and gravitational energy

In summary: The question does provide enough information to determine the semi major axis of the orbit, but that is not what was asked for. You need to make some reasonable assumptions to be able to determine the apogee, and the obvious assumption is that the satellite is at perigee at the point in question.
sk9
hello. i recently came across this question in which a satellite is put into orbit at a point around a planet with velocity 1.2V, where V is the speed for a circular orbit at that point and they ask for ratio of max to min distance. [Ans. 2.57]
what i want to know is how do we relate eccentricity to the velocity in these type of cases

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the initial radius and velocity be r1, v1 (assume tangential only).
Let the max radius and corresponding velocity be r2, v2.
The gravitational potential at radius r is -g/r, some constant g.
You can write the down the total energy at min and max radius in terms of the above, since r' = 0 at r1 and r2, and by conservation of energy equate them.
By conservation of angular momentum, r1v1 = r2v2.
If v is the speed for circular orbit at radius r1 then the centripetal force v^2/r1 = g/(r1^2).
We are told v1 = K.v where K = 1.2.

From the above equations you should obtain
r2/r1 = K^2/(1-K^2) = 2.57...

two things
1) what is r' = 0
2)i understand tha r1 is the initial radius, but in last step you have used it for min distance which it cannot be becauseat min distance all its velocity must be perpendicular.

Thanks btw!

sk9 said:
two things
1) what is r' = 0
2)i understand tha r1 is the initial radius, but in last step you have used it for min distance which it cannot be becauseat min distance all its velocity must be perpendicular.

Thanks btw!
If you don't make that assumption the question is not answerable.

haruspex said:
We are told v1 = K.v where K = 1.2.

From the above equations you should obtain
r2/r1 = K^2/(1-K^2) = 2.57...
That obviously isn't correct. With K=1.2, K^2/(1-K^2) = -3.27.

The correct result is [itex]r_2/r_1 = K^2/(2-K^2)[/itex] .

D H said:
If you don't make that assumption the question is not answerable.

That obviously isn't correct. With K=1.2, K^2/(1-K^2) = -3.27.

The correct result is [itex]r_2/r_1 = K^2/(2-K^2)[/itex] .

Yes, sorry, typo.

sk9 said:
two things
1) what is r' = 0

Thanks btw!

I wrote r' for dr/dt because I couldn't be bothered to switch to equation mode.
You didn't say which direction the initial speed is in, but you have to assume a direction or there's not enough info. I hazarded that the original question specified tangential but that you had omitted that in stating it.

Okay i found the question
7974172.jpg

it does not say anything about the direction of velocity to be tangential or otherwise, so WHY are we taking it as tangential i have tried taking it at theta but it just didn't solve.

and sorry it has been a while since i used r' notations.

Welcome to the world of poorly written questions. This is the rest of your life. If only the real world was as clear as the ambiguity in this question.

The question as written does not have a unique answer. The question does provide enough information to determine the semi major axis of the orbit, but that is not what was asked for. You need to make some reasonable assumptions to be able to determine the apogee, and the obvious assumption is that the satellite is at perigee at the point in question.

D H said:
Welcome to the world of poorly written questions. This is the rest of your life. If only the real world was as clear as the ambiguity in this question.

The question as written does not have a unique answer. The question does provide enough information to determine the semi major axis of the orbit, but that is not what was asked for. You need to make some reasonable assumptions to be able to determine the apogee, and the obvious assumption is that the satellite is at perigee at the point in question.

I am not going to start an argument but
1) i never asked to solve the question, my interest was in the approach ,which i thankfully got and was also the reason that i didn't bother about (2-K^2) part. It was just an eg. to indicate what was my topic.

2) i was writing it from my memory and so i agree it was not properly put up by me.

3) though as dumb as i may seem to you , please explain me that what gives you this idea about semi major axis. let me point out that it has SPEED 1.2V where V is also a SPEED, it does not give any indication to me about its direction.

Thanks for your rudeness and knowledge.

sk9 said:
i was writing it from my memory and so i agree it was not properly put up by me.
You misunderstood my last post. The question as written in the book does not provide enough information to give a definitive answer. It only provide enough information to say that the ratio is 2.57 or greater. The ratio is 2.57 if the satellite is at the periapsis point but is greater than 2.57 otherwise.

please explain me that what gives you this idea about semi major axis. let me point out that it has SPEED 1.2V where V is also a SPEED, it does not give any indication to me about its direction.
You don't need to know the direction of the velocity vector to determine the semi major axis. The vis viva equation, [itex]v^2 = GM(2/r - 1/a)[/itex] , can be used to solve for the semi major axis a. This equation is essentially conservation of energy for an elliptical orbit.

1. What is eccentricity in terms of orbits?

Eccentricity is a measure of how elongated or flattened an orbit is. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents a perfect circular orbit and 1 represents a highly eccentric orbit.

2. How does eccentricity affect the shape of an orbit?

The higher the eccentricity, the more elongated the orbit becomes. This means that at the point of closest approach to the object being orbited, the orbiting object will be at its shortest distance, while at the point of farthest distance, it will be at its greatest distance.

3. What is the relationship between eccentricity and gravitational energy?

Eccentricity and gravitational energy are directly related. As eccentricity increases, the gravitational energy also increases. This is because a more eccentric orbit requires more energy to maintain, as the object is constantly changing its distance from the object being orbited.

4. How does eccentricity affect the speed of an orbiting object?

The speed of an orbiting object is affected by its distance from the object being orbited. As eccentricity increases, the distance of the orbiting object from the object being orbited also increases. This means that the speed of the orbiting object will vary throughout its orbit, with the highest speed occurring at the point of closest approach and the lowest speed occurring at the point of farthest distance.

5. Can eccentricity change over time?

Yes, eccentricity can change over time. This can be due to various factors, such as the gravitational influence of other objects, tidal forces, or even the effects of general relativity. However, in most cases, the eccentricity of an orbit will remain relatively constant over time.