Confused about E-Z Isomerism Q9) - Butane

In summary, E-Z isomerism refers to the arrangement of groups on a compound, where z-isomers have the groups on the same side and e-isomers have them on different sides. For question 9, the answer could be all of the options, and for question 10, the key is to look at priorities for naming. The compounds shown do not exhibit E-Z isomerism except for B, which is the correct answer. Drawing A and C would follow a similar pattern, keeping in mind the valences of carbon and hydrogen.
influx
ezfgf.png

I know what E-Z isomerism is, but I'm confused about Q9), couldn't the answer just be all of them?

FOr 10, I know its but- since there are 4 carbons in the chain but how do I know which of the options are wrong?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For 9 What do you understand by E / Z isomerism?

For 10 look into priorities for naming

sjb-2812 said:
For 9 What do you understand by E / Z isomerism?

For 10 look into priorities for naming

A compound is a z-isomer if the groups are on the same side, and an e-isomer if the groups are on different sides, like so:

ez6.gif

I tried look around but it gets too complicated, I do AS Chemistry which doesn't cover that much material..

Thanks for the reply

OK, does this compound show E / Z isomerism?

200px-1%2C1-Dichloroethene.svg.png

Last edited:
Other way of thinking (which basically boils down to the same thing sjb already suggests) - try to draw E-Z isomers of the compound A (Q9). Are they really different?

sjb-2812 said:
OK, does this compound show E / Z isomerism?

200px-1%2C1-Dichloroethene.svg.png

Nope! Since the Cl and Cl have the same priority (and same goes for the H atoms)

isoemr.png

The one on the left is B - it does show E-Z isomerism so B is the answer (right?).

Just out of curiosity, the one on the right is supposed to represent D, is it correct? Also how would I draw A and C?

Cheers

influx said:
isoemr.png

The one on the left is B - it does show E-Z isomerism so B is the answer (right?).

Just out of curiosity, the one on the right is supposed to represent D, is it correct? Also how would I draw A and C?

Cheers

Looks good to me :)

You'd draw A and C in a similar fashion, remembering that Carbon has a valence of 4 and Hydrogen 1. Each line represents a bond.

sjb-2812 said:
Looks good to me :)

You'd draw A and C in a similar fashion, remembering that Carbon has a valence of 4 and Hydrogen 1. Each line represents a bond.

What is E-Z isomerism?

E-Z isomerism, also known as geometric isomerism, is a type of stereoisomerism in which molecules have different arrangements of atoms due to the presence of a double bond or ring. This results in different physical and chemical properties for each isomer.

What is the structure of butane?

Butane is a hydrocarbon with the molecular formula C4H10. It is a straight-chain alkane with four carbon atoms connected by single bonds and ten hydrogen atoms bonded to the carbon atoms.

How does E-Z isomerism apply to butane?

Butane can exist in two E-Z isomers, known as n-butane and isobutane. These isomers have the same molecular formula but differ in the arrangement of atoms around the double bond. N-butane has a linear structure, while isobutane has a branched structure.

What are the differences between E and Z isomers of butane?

The main difference between the E and Z isomers of butane is their physical properties. N-butane has a higher boiling point and is a liquid at room temperature, while isobutane has a lower boiling point and is a gas at room temperature. In terms of chemical properties, the two isomers may react differently due to their different arrangements of atoms.

How is E-Z isomerism important in organic chemistry?

E-Z isomerism is important in organic chemistry because it affects the reactivity and properties of molecules. It is also used to distinguish between different compounds with the same molecular formula. Understanding E-Z isomerism is crucial in fields such as drug development, where slight changes in molecular structure can greatly affect a compound's function and effectiveness.