How to read/interpret this equation

• Thread starter TheMarksman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a confusion regarding the interpretation of a matrix in an equation. The equation in question is a standard notation for binomial coefficient and does not involve a matrix. The conversation ends with gratitude and apologies for the misunderstanding.
TheMarksman
Hi guys,

Capture.png

I am a little confused about how to interpret the matrix included in the equation...can someone please write it in a single line not using the matrix for let's say n=3...

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's not a matrix, it's a standard notation for a binomial coefficient:

$$\left(\begin{array}{c}{n \\ k}\end{array}\right) = _nC_k = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}$$

TheMarksman said:
Hi guys,

Capture.png

I am a little confused about how to interpret the matrix included in the equation...can someone please write it in a single line not using the matrix for let's say n=3...

Thanks in advance.

What matrix? Is [itex]\tau[/itex] a matrix? Because [itex]{n \choose k}[/itex] is not a matrix.

Thanks so much Mr. Mute..Mr. Mentallic, I thought (n k) is a matrix not tau...sorry...

Thanks so much for the replies...have a good day guys...

I would be happy to provide a response to your question. The matrix included in the equation represents a set of numbers arranged in rows and columns. In order to interpret it, you would need to understand the specific values and their corresponding positions in the matrix. For n=3, the matrix would have 3 rows and 3 columns, with each element representing a specific value. Interpreting the matrix would involve analyzing the relationships between these values and how they contribute to the overall equation.

1. What do the symbols/variables in the equation represent?

The symbols/variables in an equation represent different quantities or properties that are related to each other. For example, in the equation F = ma, F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

2. How do I know what operations to perform on the equation?

To read an equation, you must first understand the basic rules of algebra. You can perform the same operations on both sides of the equation to simplify it and solve for the unknown variable. The most common operations used in equations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. What does the equal sign mean in an equation?

The equal sign (=) in an equation means that the quantity on the left side of the equation is equivalent to the quantity on the right side. It shows that the two expressions have the same value.

4. Can I rearrange the terms in an equation?

Yes, you can rearrange the terms in an equation as long as you perform the same operation on both sides. This is known as the commutative property of equality. However, keep in mind that the order of terms in an equation can sometimes affect the solution.

5. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by substituting the value of the unknown variable into the original equation. If the equation is still balanced, then your solution is correct. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to verify your solution.