Photomagnetic Effect: Can It Be Achieved at Room Temp?

• Thread starter Young Learner
  • Start date
In summary, the Magneto-Optic effect, specifically the Faraday effect, is a phenomenon where light passed through a material produces a magnetic field. This causes a rotation of the plane of polarization, which is linearly proportional to the component of the magnetic field in the direction of propagation. While there is no known material that exhibits photomagnetic effect at room temperature, there is research being done on materials that exhibit this effect at extremely low temperatures, such as -259 degrees Celsius. However, a new article has been mentioned which discusses photomagnetic effect at normal temperatures.
Young Learner
I have a fair bit of idea about photo magnetic effect. But, after several hours of googling I am not able to find a material which exhibits photomagnetic effect. I just wanted to know if photomagnetic effect is possible in normal room temperature conditions, because I came across a thread saying photomagnetic effect is possible at -259 degree Celsius.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are looking is called a magneto-optic effect. In particular, the Faraday effect
... causes a rotation of the plane of polarization which is linearly proportional to the component of the magnetic field in the direction of propagation.

Thanks for the reply
Is Magneto-Optic effect is a phenomenon where light passed through a material produces magnetic field?. I just wanted to know about a material which should produce a magnetic field when light is passed through it in normal temperature surroundings.

Young Learner said:
I have a fair bit of idea about photo magnetic effect. But, after several hours of googling I am not able to find a material which exhibits photomagnetic effect. I just wanted to know if photomagnetic effect is possible in normal room temperature conditions, because I came across a thread saying photomagnetic effect is possible at -259 degree Celsius.

Young Learner said:
Thanks for the reply
Is Magneto-Optic effect is a phenomenon where light passed through a material produces magnetic field?. I just wanted to know about a material which should produce a magnetic field when light is passed through it in normal temperature surroundings.

Could you post a link to the low-temperature article?

I was not able to find the -259 degree Celsius link but the link which I have mentioned below is a new one.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1066522&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F20%2F22905%2F01066522.pdf%3Farnumber%3D1066522

1. What is the photomagnetic effect?

The photomagnetic effect is a phenomenon in which the magnetic properties of a material can be altered by exposure to light. This effect is typically observed in materials that have both magnetic and optical properties, such as certain types of semiconductors.

2. Can the photomagnetic effect be achieved at room temperature?

Yes, it is possible for the photomagnetic effect to occur at room temperature. However, it is highly dependent on the specific material being used and the intensity and wavelength of light being used to induce the effect.

3. What are some potential applications of the photomagnetic effect?

The photomagnetic effect has potential applications in technologies such as data storage, magnetic sensing, and optoelectronic devices. It could also be used in the development of new types of magnetic materials with enhanced properties.

4. How does the photomagnetic effect differ from the photoelectric effect?

The photomagnetic effect is the manipulation of magnetic properties by light, while the photoelectric effect is the emission of electrons from a material due to exposure to light. They are two distinct phenomena with different underlying mechanisms.

5. What challenges are associated with achieving the photomagnetic effect at room temperature?

One of the main challenges is finding materials that exhibit strong photomagnetic effects at room temperature. Additionally, controlling the intensity and wavelength of light needed to induce the effect can be difficult. The effect may also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and impurities in the material.