How can I plot Z for a set of chokes?

by hobbs125
Tags: chokes, plot
Share this thread:
hobbs125
Apr27-14, 12:59 PM
P: 102
Hello everyone,

I need to find a way to measure and plot the impedance of a set of chokes across a frequency range of 10kHz. Any ideas how I can do that? I have a frequency generator, a variable power supply and an oscilloscope with a spectrum analyzer.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
Researchers develop tool to predict the level of driver discomfort caused by LED lighting
New inexpensive and easy to implement computer software provides real-time and highly accurate data on traffic
berkeman
Apr27-14, 05:22 PM
Mentor
P: 40,628
Quote Quote by hobbs125 View Post
Hello everyone,

I need to find a way to measure and plot the impedance of a set of chokes across a frequency range of 10kHz. Any ideas how I can do that? I have a frequency generator, a variable power supply and an oscilloscope with a spectrum analyzer.
If you just need the Z at 10kHz, then there is no frequency range involved. What is the equation for Vout/Vin for an RL circuit? How can you apply that now?
hobbs125
Apr27-14, 07:06 PM
P: 102
I want to actually measure the impedance from 30-40 kHz and plot it against the frequency.

berkeman
Apr28-14, 10:19 AM
Mentor
P: 40,628
How can I plot Z for a set of chokes?

Quote Quote by hobbs125 View Post
I want to actually measure the impedance from 30-40 kHz and plot it against the frequency.
Then just use an RL circuit. Put your oscilloscope probe #1 at the output of the signal generator before the R, and probe #2 between the R and L (far side of L goes to ground). Work out the math for the attenuation and phase shift versus frequency, to help you choose a good value of R for a given L.

Register to reply