Ug, a couple more tough problems

• Thread starter Wishbone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the first person is trying to figure out how to prove that sin z is greater than just a sin x, but they don't seem to be able to do it. The second person tells them what they need to do to prove that sin z is greater than just a sin x, and includes the help of an identity and the Hermitian conjugate.
Wishbone
the first one says:

Prove that:
a) [tex] |sin z | \geq |sin x| [/tex]
b) [tex] |cos z | \geq |cos x| [/tex]Where I guess z = x+iy...

What I have done:
Well I am pretty stumped on this one, I have though about expanding sin z into [tex] (sin x) (cosh y) + (i cos x) (sinh y) [/tex]. I don't think that helps me prove anything, but it seems like more terms means it would be greater than just a sin x :uhh:

Second problemo:

We see the anuglar momentum components
[tex] (L_x - i L_y) != (L_x +iL_y)* [/tex]Gosh I've tried a lot on this one, I really don't know too too much about QM, so its been tough. It just seems to go against the definition of a conjugate, so I dunno...

Physics news on Phys.org
First:

I don't think that helps me prove anything

Think a little harder! :)

HINT: What is the absolute value of the expression?

Second: What exactly does that exclamation point mean?

oh i didnt know how to put the does not equal to sign, so I put the !=.

Tide said:
HINT: What is the absolute value of the expression?

hmmmm well of course I know |z| = [tex]\sqrt{x^2 +y^2}[/tex]

so would |sin z| = [tex] \sqrt{(sin x)^2 (cosh y)^2 + (i cos x)^2 (sinh y)^2} [/tex]

Last edited:
Not quite. You need to multiply sin z by its complex conjugate, i.e. the i under the radical doesn't belong there.

hmm ok so I get[tex] (sin^2 x) (cosh^2y) + (cos^2 x) (sinh^2 y) [/tex]

but that gives me [tex]|sin z|^2[/tex], and then hmm, I need to take the sqaure root of that to get get back to |sin z|?

Wishbone said:
hmm ok so I get[tex] (sin^2 x) (cosh^2y) + (cos^2 x) (sinh^2 y) [/tex]

but that gives me [tex]|sin z|^2[/tex], and then hmm, I need to take the sqaure root of that to get get back to |sin z|?

I think you'll find the identity [itex]\cos^2(x)=1-\sin^2(x)[/itex] quite helpful in finishing this off.

As for the QM question I think what they're driving at here is that you don't take the complex conjugate of operators. Instead you take the Hermitian conjugate. That means that [itex]L_x-iL_y=(L_x+iL_y)^{\dagger}[/itex].

And by the way the not-equal-to symbol is given by [itex]\neq[/itex] (click the image to see the code).

1. What is "Ug, a couple more tough problems" about?

"Ug, a couple more tough problems" is a phrase commonly used in the scientific community to express the difficulty of solving a particularly challenging problem or set of problems.

2. Why do scientists use this phrase?

Scientists often encounter complex and unpredictable problems in their research, and the phrase "Ug, a couple more tough problems" serves as a way to acknowledge and vent frustration while also signaling determination to continue working towards a solution.

3. How do scientists approach difficult problems?

Scientists use a variety of problem-solving techniques, such as breaking the problem down into smaller parts, collaborating with colleagues, and utilizing creativity and critical thinking skills to come up with possible solutions.

4. Can "Ug, a couple more tough problems" be applied to other fields besides science?

Yes, the phrase can be used in any field where complex and challenging problems arise, such as engineering, mathematics, and even everyday life situations.

5. Is it normal for scientists to encounter difficult problems in their work?

Yes, encountering difficult problems is a normal and expected part of the scientific process. In fact, some of the most groundbreaking discoveries have come from overcoming seemingly insurmountable challenges.