Viewing you full length in a mirror

In summary, the conversation is about whether only a half-length mirror is needed to view one's full length. The person asking the question is wondering if this applies to just seeing their face as well, and if the top half of their face can be disregarded when looking in the mirror. The solution is to draw a diagram and understand the distance between oneself and their mirror image.
tubaplaya76
Hey guys, I've got a quick question if you don't mind.

I understand that in order to view your full length in a mirror, that only a half-length mirror is needed; however, I'm wondering if this is true to just only see your face (if it was held up in front of you). So if my face is 15 inches, I would, theoretically need a mirror that is 7.5 to see my entire face, right?

The reason why I'm asking is that I don't know how the reflections will interact with "what I see." Is it the top half of my face (above the eyes) that can be disregarded of the mirror?

I'm not sure.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tubaplaya76 said:
...to view your full length in a mirror, that only a half-length mirror is needed...
If you understand why that's true, you should be able to answer your own question. Here's how to understand it: If you stand a distance D away from a plane mirror, your mirror image (which is the same size as you) appears to be a distance 2D away from you. Draw a diagram of you, the mirror, and your image. Then draw lines representing your eyes looking at your feet (in the mirror), at the top of your head, then anywhere in between. Any part of the mirror that you don't need in order to see everything from your feet to the top of your head can be cut away. How big is what's left?

Then apply the same reasoning to viewing just your face.

Hello, thank you for your question. I can confirm that your understanding is correct. In order to view your full length in a mirror, a half-length mirror is all that is needed. This is because the reflection in the mirror will appear to be the same size as the object being reflected. Therefore, if your face is 15 inches, a mirror that is 7.5 inches would be sufficient to see your entire face.

However, it is important to note that the reflection in the mirror will not be an exact representation of your face. This is because mirrors flip the image horizontally, so the left side of your face will appear on the right side in the reflection. Additionally, the reflection may also appear slightly distorted depending on the shape and quality of the mirror.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you.

1. Why do I look different in the mirror than in photos?

The mirror reflects an image of yourself as you see it, while a photo captures a 2D representation of your 3D self. The angle, lighting, and lens of a camera can also distort your appearance in photos.

2. Is my mirror image a true reflection of how others see me?

Yes and no. Your mirror image is a reversed version of how others see you, but it is still a reflection of your physical appearance. Keep in mind that people may also perceive you differently based on their own biases and perceptions.

3. Why do I look taller/shorter in the mirror?

Mirrors can create an optical illusion of height due to the angle at which you are viewing yourself. Additionally, some mirrors may be slightly distorted, causing a slight variation in your appearance.

4. Can I trust the way I look in a mirror for clothing shopping?

While a mirror can give you a general idea of how an outfit looks on you, it may not always be an accurate representation. Factors such as the fit of the clothing, lighting, and angle can all affect how an outfit looks on you. It's always best to try on clothes before making a purchase.

5. How can I use a mirror to improve my posture?

A mirror can be a useful tool for checking your posture and making adjustments. Stand in front of a mirror and align your shoulders, hips, and feet in a straight line. Practice standing and walking with this alignment to improve your posture over time.