Solve Your Relay Circuit Issues with Expert Advice | Bio-Physicist Career Help

In summary, the problem is that the computer's parallel port sends out a TTL signal of 2.5 to 3.5 volts, though it's supposed to output 5V. The smallest relay available is a 5V mini relay that Radio Shack sells, but if I can't find a smaller relay, can anyone explain to me other alternatives? Alternatively, if you can manage a 5V DC voltage source somehow (dividing the 12V may or may not work, I dunno) , a simple transistor switch would probably work okay. Alternatively, if you're going to do that, you might as well make the whole thing solid state.
neuralJ
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I'll greatly appreciate your help. If I can get this electrical/computer engineering problem solved, I'll be that much closer in pursuing a career as a bio-physicist.

With the help of my intor physics professor, I'm designing a juice delivery system in which the main components are a computer parallel port, a relay, a 12-volt battery, and a pump. As you can guess, once the computer sends the TTL signal, the relay switches to normally open, which triggers the 12V battery to turn on, which then causes liquid dispensation.

Issues:

1.) The computer's parallel port sends out a TTL signal of 2.5 to 3.5 volts, though I was told that it's supposed to output 5V.

2.) The smallest relay I can find is a 5V mini relay that Radio Shack sells. If I cannot find a smaller relay, can anyone explain to me other alternatives?

How is it that the parallel port's maximum signal is 3.5V?

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
neuralJ said:
1.) The computer's parallel port sends out a TTL signal of 2.5 to 3.5 volts, though I was told that it's supposed to output 5V.

There are different TTL standards. As far as I know, a logical high for TTL is anywhere between 2.4V and 5V, so I wouldn't count on it for switching.

neuralJ said:
2.) The smallest relay I can find is a 5V mini relay that Radio Shack sells. If I cannot find a smaller relay, can anyone explain to me other alternatives?

If you can manage a 5V DC voltage source somehow (dividing the 12V may or may not work, I dunno) , a simple transistor switch would probably work okay.

You could always use a power transistor to kick the voltage up enough to drive the relay. On the other hand, if you're going to do that, you might as well make the whole thing solid state.

BoTemp and Danger, thank you very much.

1. What is a relay circuit?

A relay circuit is an electrical switch that is controlled by an electromagnet. It allows a low voltage circuit to control a high voltage circuit by using the electromagnetic field to open and close the switch.

2. How does a relay circuit work?

A relay circuit consists of an input side and an output side. The input side is connected to a low voltage circuit and the output side is connected to a high voltage circuit. When the input circuit is activated, it creates an electromagnetic field that pulls a metal contact towards it, closing the switch and allowing the high voltage circuit to be completed.

3. What are the common uses of a relay circuit?

Relay circuits are commonly used in industrial and electronic applications to control high voltage devices with low voltage signals. They are also used in automotive applications, such as in the starter and ignition systems.

4. How do I choose the right relay for my circuit?

When choosing a relay for your circuit, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements, as well as the switching speed and the expected lifetime of the relay. Different types of relays, such as electromechanical and solid state relays, have different characteristics and may be more suitable for different applications.

5. Can I use a relay circuit with different voltage levels?

Yes, a relay circuit can be used to control different voltage levels as long as the input and output sides are properly matched. It is important to choose a relay with a coil voltage that matches the input voltage and a contact rating that can handle the output voltage. Additionally, some relays have adjustable coil voltages to accommodate different circuits.