A Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams

• Thread starter ermines
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, the speaker is discussing their interest in writing a paper about the history of exams, inspired by Foucault's approach to studying sexuality. They are looking for sources and references to use in their paper, and are particularly interested in the origins and effects of exams in different civilizations. They also mention Foucault's concept of the modern exam as a technology of power and individualization. They request any relevant literature or published work from the other person.
ermines
hello guys. since i didn't saw any philosophy subforum in the coursework questions thread, i decided to start my thread here at the other sciences section. i really wasn't sure if i should have put this in the philosophy thread but oh well...

basically, I've been reading a lot of foucault material and decided to write a paper about the history of exams, or rather a genealogy of exams. i wanted to know where it all started, how, and what effects did it brought about and if there were any proliferative deployments that resulted from it. it is like I'm making a study just like how foucault did his history of sexuality. the problem is that i don't really know where i can get my reference and source materals. it is already a given that i would use some accounts in his book discipline and punish and the use of pleasure. but are there any other sources i can refer to? it doesn't really need to be a work written by foucault, it can any psychologist and historians. even trivial origins of how it all started would be helpful--like if it was from the greeks, egyptians, or chinese...

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't F. say "genealogy of the modern exam"? In his framework, wouldn't modern exam be a measurement and evaluation technology that accomplishes investment of power, and invention of the individual (along with other technologies)?

Hi would you kindly inform me about any relevant literature you have found in relation to such topic, or perhaps your work if it has been pubished.

Thanks

1. What is a Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams?

A Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams is an approach to studying the history and evolution of exams using the framework of philosopher Michel Foucault's genealogical method. This method focuses on uncovering the power dynamics and social, political, and cultural factors that have shaped the concept and practice of exams throughout history.

2. How does Foucault's genealogical method apply to exams?

Foucault's genealogical method involves tracing the development and transformation of a concept or practice through various historical periods, paying attention to the shifts in power relations and the underlying ideologies that have influenced its evolution. In the case of exams, this approach would involve examining how exams have been used as a tool for social control, discipline, and surveillance, as well as how they have been shaped by dominant ideologies and institutions.

3. What are some key insights that can be gained from a Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams?

A Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams can provide insights into the ways in which exams have been used to regulate and control individuals, as well as how they have reinforced dominant power structures and ideologies. It can also reveal the historical context and societal factors that have influenced the development of exams and shed light on the potential consequences and implications of their use.

4. How does a Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams differ from traditional approaches to studying exams?

A Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams differs from traditional approaches in that it places a greater emphasis on uncovering the underlying power dynamics and ideologies that have shaped exams, rather than simply analyzing their content or effectiveness. It also takes a broader view of exams, considering their historical, social, and cultural contexts, rather than treating them as isolated events or practices.

5. How can a Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams be applied in practical terms?

A Foucaultian Genealogy of Exams can be applied in practical terms by providing a critical lens through which to examine the current use and impact of exams in various contexts. It can also inform discussions and debates surrounding education policies, as well as the development of alternative assessment methods that may be less influenced by power dynamics and dominant ideologies.