How Does Mathematical Induction Prove This Series Sum Formula?

In summary: I do not have the time to write all of that out for you. I have given you the roadmap. You need to do the work.
L²Cc
Proposition: 1*2*3+2*3*4+3*4*5+...+n(n+1)(n+2) = [n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)]/4

Step (1): If n=1 then LHS (left hand side) = 6, and RHS = 6
Thus, P1 is true.

Step (2): If Pk is true then
k(k+1)(k+2) = [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4

Now,
k(k+1)(k+2) + [k+1]([k+1]+1)([k+1]+2) = [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4 + [k+1]([k+1]+1)([k+1]+2)

k(k+1)(k+2) +[k+1]([k+1]+1)([k+1]+2) = [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4 + (k+1)(k+2)(k+3)

[k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3) + 4(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4 ---> Common denominator - 4.

Then,
let k+1= A, k+2= B, k+3= C
k(A)(B)(C) + 4(A)(B)(C)/4
A(K+4)B(K+4)C(K+4)
Then,
(K+4)(ABC)
am i on the right track?
Then,
(k+4)(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)/4
Then? How do i prove that P(k+1) is true whenever Pk and P1 are true?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about step 2?

hmmm...yeah i think so...is there anything wrong with step two, other than i shouldve put in the sequence before the general nth term formula?!

L²Cc said:
hmmm...yeah i think so...is there anything wrong with step two, other than i shouldve put in the sequence before the general nth term formula?!
It is the sequence of products before the general term that was missing. It is also missing in the next step. Maybe you have kept track of it somehow, but I don't see it.

My guess is that to finish you need to expand
[n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)]/4
with n=k+1 to look like
[k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4 + R
The assumption of truth for Pk tells you that you can replace [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4 with the sum up through the k term. Is R what you need it to be for the next term to satisfy equality?

I can't stay around to work it out, but that is what I would try.

Im confused...what's R in this equation?
i have added k+1 to the equation because I am proving here that the proposition is applicable for the K+1th term too...(if you see what i mean?)

Is there a better way out other than expanding? (that would take for ages...)
Anyhow, you might not be reading this msg today...

L²Cc said:
Im confused...what's R in this equation?
i have added k+1 to the equation because I am proving here that the proposition is applicable for the K+1th term too...(if you see what i mean?)

Is there a better way out other than expanding? (that would take for ages...)
Anyhow, you might not be reading this msg today...
R is whatever is left over after you have isolated the first product. I had to drive to the airport when I left earlier. On the way I did the needed expansion in my head. Once you see it, you can too. You only have to distribute one of the binomials in the product; the rest can stay as binomials. You were really close to it in your earlier post. Do what I outlined, replacing n with k+1, and it will almost jump out at you if you don't ignore the early terms in the series.

L²Cc said:
Proposition: 1*2*3+2*3*4+3*4*5+...+n(n+1)(n+2) = [n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)]/4

Step (1): If n=1 then LHS (left hand side) = 6, and RHS = 6
Thus, P1 is true.

Step (2): If Pk is true then
k(k+1)(k+2) = [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4

Now,
k(k+1)(k+2) + [k+1]([k+1]+1)([k+1]+2) = [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4 + [k+1]([k+1]+1)([k+1]+2)

k(k+1)(k+2) +[k+1]([k+1]+1)([k+1]+2) = [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4 + (k+1)(k+2)(k+3)

[k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3) + 4(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4 ---> Common denominator - 4.

Then,
let k+1= A, k+2= B, k+3= C
k(A)(B)(C) + 4(A)(B)(C)/4
A(K+4)B(K+4)C(K+4)
Then,
(K+4)(ABC)
am i on the right track?
Then,
(k+4)(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)/4
Then? How do i prove that P(k+1) is true whenever Pk and P1 are true?!

isnt this java, if so use j creator

you know what i just realized...i did prove that Pn is true:
(k+4)(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)/4 = ([k+1])([k+1]+1)([k+1]+2)([k+1]+3)/1=4, where k+1=n!
yey:

L²Cc said:
(k+4)(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)/4 = ([k+1])([k+1]+1)([k+1]+2)([k+1]+3)/1=4
This is not true. You are, and have been close to a proof, but this incorrect equation is not going to do it for you.

You seem to have used Pn to refer to the propositon. I suggest you use Sn to refer to the sum of terms in the series. So the proposition Pn is that
Pn: Sn = [n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)]/4 where Sn = 1*2*3+2*3*4+3*4*5+...+n(n+1)(n+2)

You have correctly shown that P1 is true by showing that
P1: S1 = 1*2*3 = [1*2*3*4]/4 = 6

You will assume that Pk is true
Pk: Sk = [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4

What you need to show is that given P1 is true and Pk is assumed true then P(k+1) is also true

P(k+1): S(k+1) = [(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)(k+4)]/4

The proof is completed by verifying this equality. To do that you need to write the left hand side and right hand side in terms of things that you know (or can assume) are equal. You need to write S(k+1) in terms of Sk and other terms. Then you need to manipulate the right side to identify something that is equal to Sk. If you then subtract Sk and its equivalent from both sides of the equation you will be comparing two expressions. If they are indeed equal, then you have verified the equality. If they are unequal, then you have disproved the proposition.

Last edited:

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for a particular number, and it is also true for the next number, then it is true for all subsequent numbers.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by breaking down a statement into smaller parts, and then proving that each part is true. This is done by showing that the statement is true for the first number, and then assuming it is true for the next number and proving it for the next number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

3. What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

The difference between weak and strong induction lies in the way the statement is proven for the next number. In weak induction, the statement is only proven for the next number, while in strong induction, the statement is proven for all numbers between the first and the next number.

4. When should mathematical induction be used?

Mathematical induction should be used when trying to prove a statement for all natural numbers. It is especially useful when the statement involves a recursive definition, such as the Fibonacci sequence or factorial function.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction include assuming that the statement is true for all numbers, not following the correct steps of induction, and using incorrect base cases. It is also important to ensure that the statement is true for the first few numbers before attempting to prove it for all natural numbers.