What is oxidation and how does it relate to animal energy release?

• Thread starter jacklwk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, oxidation is the process of losing electrons in a reaction. In biology, this is how animals release energy from food through the oxidation of complex molecules into simpler ones. You can learn more about oxidation and respiration through various online resources.
jacklwk
according to my biology textbook, it says that animals release energy by oxidation of food, can anybody tell me that what is oxidation?

Physics news on Phys.org
jacklwk said:
according to my biology textbook, it says that animals release energy by oxidation of food, can anybody tell me that what is oxidation?
Oxidation is simply an increase in oxidation number. More practically, it is the loss of one or more electrons in a reaction. When the body converts complex molecules into simple ones (such as the oxidation of glucose), it often oxidizes those molecules.

More on oxidation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox

More on respiration:
http://www.3rd1000.com/chem301/chem302x.htm
http://www.chemsoc.org/networks/learnnet/cfb/respiration.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxidation is a chemical reaction in which a substance combines with oxygen. In the context of animal energy release, oxidation refers to the process of breaking down food molecules, such as glucose, through a series of chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons. This transfer of electrons releases energy, which is then used by the body for various functions such as movement, growth, and maintaining body temperature.

In simpler terms, oxidation is like the burning of fuel in a car engine. Just as fuel is broken down and burned to release energy in a car, food is broken down and oxidized in the body to release energy for animals. This process is essential for animals to carry out their daily activities and maintain their bodily functions.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify what oxidation is and how it relates to animal energy release. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is oxidation?

Oxidation is a chemical reaction in which a substance loses electrons, resulting in a change in its oxidation state. This process often involves the addition of oxygen or the removal of hydrogen.

2. How does oxidation occur?

Oxidation can occur through a variety of mechanisms, including through the presence of oxygen, exposure to heat, or a reaction with a strong oxidizing agent. It can also occur naturally through the process of aging or decay.

3. What are the effects of oxidation?

The effects of oxidation can vary depending on the substance being oxidized. In some cases, it can lead to the degradation or breakdown of the substance. In other cases, it can result in the formation of new compounds or changes in physical properties such as color or texture.

4. What are some examples of oxidation?

Some common examples of oxidation include rusting of iron, browning of cut apples, and the burning of fuels. Other examples include the fermentation of wine and the conversion of fats into soap.

5. How can oxidation be prevented or reversed?

Oxidation can be prevented by storing substances in airtight containers, reducing exposure to oxygen and heat, and using antioxidants which can inhibit the process. In some cases, oxidation can also be reversed through chemical reactions or by removing the oxidized layer.