Exploring Quantum Physics: Where to Begin?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of studying quantum physics for a degree. The individual is interested in the subject but unsure of where to begin. Suggestions are given to read books and get a head start before starting A-levels, with recommendations of popular books and warnings about the level of math required. It is also mentioned that nobody gets a degree specifically in quantum mechanics and that a wide range of mathematics is necessary to truly understand the subject."
Trail_Builder
hi

well i am basically really liking the idea of quantum physics and find it real interesting, and think i want to do it for a degree (either that pure maths or cosmoslogy), but don't know where to begin>?

i havnt even started A-levels yet, but would like to get a head start cause i interested in it anyways, and reks i will 'just' about be able to follow it..

so should i get a book to read through? or what?

thncx

Physics news on Phys.org
Reading is always a good idea. It helps when you take the class to have already seen the concepts and material, even if you didn't fully understand them the first time around, and it will also satisfy your immediate curiosity. There are many books available, at both rigorous and "popular" (descriptive only/no math) levels.

In the textbook categor, Tipler, "Modern Physics" is a popular undergrad book. Feynman's "Lectures on Physics" vol. 3 is also often praised, though be warned that some people have a tough time learning from it on their own (it'll either work well or fail for you, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground). You can also search your university library for any book with "modern physics" in the title.

will i survive the math at my level? (small bit of a-level and gcse, but i find it all easy at this level so may understand the concept?), or will it use a whole load of stuff i have no idea about?

Trail_Builder said:
will i survive the math at my level? (small bit of a-level and gcse,

For the benefit of the Yanks among us who aren't familiar with the British educational system, could you be more specific about which math you've had so far? :confused:

Most second-year undergraduate "modern physics" books used in the USA, assume that you know basic differential and integral calculus. They may also assume you know about partial derivatives and complex numbers, but at least some of the books I've seen do take some time to introduce you to those topics.

Just to kill your delusion, nobody gets a degree in "quantum mechanics" anymore. Once you get past the basics, you'll realize that the world if physics is much larger than most people realize, and vastly more specialized that you'll believe.

I think the ideal would be to study classical physics and mathematical analysis before starting quantum mechanics.

Most second-year undergraduate "modern physics" books used in the USA, assume that you know basic differential and integral calculus.

I recommend avoiding these books, they are full of lies because their intended audience is not ready for QM.

Just to kill your delusion, nobody gets a degree in "quantum mechanics" anymore.

Just to kill your arrogance, I will point out that "Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" (which studies the consiquences of the basic non-relativistic formalism) is a fast growing field of specialization, in part due to interest in quantum computing and in part due to recent progress in experiments involving quantum optical effects.

Last edited:
Lol Umm Well, let's say it like this. The math you know right now, nope. You will need to know a vast variety of mathematics to cope with even understanding elementary Quantum Mechanics, let alone going further in the field. Try learning some Algebra, some advanced calculus, not that basic differential/integral stuff. Partial derivatives, differential equations, stuff like that, and obviously, things like classical mechanics, basic relativity etc

O and btw, Crosson, where Can I get this degree you say? I'm only 15 and I bet I knew enough 2 years ago to get that degree by the way you described it. How basic is basic?

Attachments

• bobqm-small.gif
    bobqm-small.gif
    82.8 KB · Views: 542
Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
On a lighter note, there's always "Bob's School of Quantum Mechanics"
Right, that school takes away all the uncertainties. :tongue:

Last edited:
robphy said:
there's always "Bob's School of Quantum Mechanics"

:rofl: I remember seeing that exact same advertisement on the bulletin board in grad school, about 25-30 years ago. Now it can grace our bulletin board, too!

Last edited:
Likes atyy

1. What is quantum physics and why is it important?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

2. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. Unlike classical mechanics, which is based on Newton's laws of motion, quantum mechanics allows for particles to exist in multiple states at the same time, known as superposition, and for particles to be connected in a phenomenon called entanglement.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many practical applications, including in the fields of computing, cryptography, and communication. For example, quantum computers can solve complex problems much faster than classical computers, and quantum cryptography is used for secure communication. Quantum physics also plays a crucial role in technologies such as transistors, solar cells, and medical imaging.

4. How can someone begin to learn about quantum physics?

To begin learning about quantum physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. There are many online resources and textbooks available for self-study, or one can take a course at a university or community college.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum physics?

One common misconception about quantum physics is that it only applies to the tiny world of atoms and molecules. In reality, quantum effects can also occur on a larger scale, and can even be seen in everyday objects. Another misconception is that quantum physics is too complex for the average person to understand. While it can be challenging, with dedication and effort, anyone can grasp the basic principles of quantum physics.