Wiring a 110V Fan with Low Voltage Thermostat: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, for controlling a 110V fan with a low voltage thermostat, you will need an Opto-Isolating Triac to safely isolate the low voltage side from the high voltage side. It is recommended to search for an opto-isolating triac and obtain a data sheet and application notes for proper wiring. It is important to have an expert check your work before building and plugging in. Another option is to use a plain old relay, which can be found at Radio Shack. It is not advisable to use a line voltage thermostat or attempt to design a safe low voltage controller without expert knowledge. It is safer to purchase a UL approved controller.
ZooY151
I am trying to control a 110V fan with a low voltage thermostat. I am pretty new to electrical theory... I would like a basic description of what I need and how to properly wire it. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need an Opto-Isolating Triac, this will safely isolate the low voltage side form the high voltage side.
Do an internet search for opto-isolating triacs, get the data sheet on a suitable one and there may be circuits in the application notes.
Make sure you get your work checked by somebody who knows what they are doing before you build it and definitely before you plug it in.

For someone who seems new to electricity as does the OP I would recommend starting with the low-tech approach of a plain old relay. I haven't looked for a while, but I suspect Radio Shack has exactly the device you need.

What about a line voltage thermostat?

An lm35 temp sensor hooked up to a comparator to trigger a relay is probably the way I would go. You can hook a pot up to the comparator to adjust the reference voltage and act like a thermostat. The last time I used an LM35, I believe it sourced 1mA/degree Celcius.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
What about a line voltage thermostat?
I don't think you want to put line voltage on your temp. control wires. As Averagesupernova says; use a "plain old relay" ...that can be mounted on the fan with the other power devices.:cool:

dlgoff said:
I don't think you want to put line voltage on your temp. control wires. As Averagesupernova says; use a "plain old relay" ...that can be mounted on the fan with the other power devices.:cool:
When you wire a line votage thermostat, you wire it as in place of a wall switch.
If the fan has a wall switch in a sutible location, you can just substitute.

Last edited:
"When you wire a line votage thermostat, you wire it as in place of a wall switch."

Okay then.

I wanted to make sure that the OP didn't try to wire line voltage to his existing thermostat.

dlgoff said:
"When you wire a line votage thermostat, you wire it as in place of a wall switch."

Okay then.

I wanted to make sure that the OP didn't try to wire line voltage to his existing thermostat.

Good point.

It's also not trivial to design a safe low voltage controller.
Proper enclosure and isolation layouts are not something to attempt without expert knowledge.

Better off purchasing a suitable UL approved controller.

1. How do I wire a 110V fan with a low voltage thermostat?

Wiring a 110V fan with a low voltage thermostat is a relatively simple process. First, make sure you have all the necessary tools and equipment, including a screwdriver and wire strippers. Then, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer of your fan and thermostat. Generally, you will need to connect the fan's power supply wires to the thermostat's low voltage wires, and then connect the thermostat's high voltage wires to the power source. Be sure to turn off the power before beginning the wiring process.

2. Can I use any low voltage thermostat with a 110V fan?

No, it is important to make sure that the low voltage thermostat you use is compatible with a 110V fan. Some low voltage thermostats may only be suitable for use with certain types of fans or appliances. Always check the specifications of both the fan and thermostat before attempting to wire them together.

3. What is the purpose of a low voltage thermostat in a 110V fan?

A low voltage thermostat is used to control the power supply to the fan. It allows the fan to turn on and off at specific temperature settings, helping to maintain a desired temperature in a room or space. This can help save energy and prevent the fan from running continuously.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when wiring a 110V fan with a low voltage thermostat?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with electricity. Make sure to turn off the power before beginning the wiring process and use caution when handling wires. If you are unsure about any steps in the process, consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's instructions.

5. Can I wire multiple 110V fans with one low voltage thermostat?

Yes, it is possible to wire multiple 110V fans with one low voltage thermostat. However, it is important to make sure that the thermostat can handle the total power load of all the fans. If the power load is too high, it may cause the thermostat to malfunction or even cause a fire hazard. It is recommended to consult a professional electrician for assistance when wiring multiple fans with one thermostat.