Upgrading PC with Geforce5200FX Video Card: Safety/Compatibility Issues

In summary: I've been looking for a while now.In summary, installing a video card is a very straightforward process. First do to control panel/ system/ hardware/ device manager. Your on board graphics device will be listed under this usually under the heading "display adapter." Right click on the device and disable it. Next shut down your computer, install the graphics card, and reboot. Your computer should automatically find the new hardware and prompt you to install it. You can either use the driver cd that came with the card or download the most recent drivers at www.nvidia.com.
ziad1985
Recently I have upgraded my pc with as new video card, I'm left with the old one which is Geforce5200FX, it has 256MB SDRam, I have an older pc , with 815 Intel motherboard..
what I read about the specs that the video card should be no more then 64MB...
my question is it safe to install the 256MB one?
will it be able to read it ?will it be installed properly but will only function as if it was 64MB ?or it will not function at all?

Computer science news on Phys.org
There is no spec for maximum video memory on a video card. You may be thinking about the maximum amount of shared memory on your motherboard, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what a discrete video card has.

You mean I can just install it and it will work ?
I remember that there is an option in BIOS limiting something related with the video card to 64MB , you mean that's just the amount of shared memory?
I always sought that it's like an upper limit of what I can install as a video card..

I see that the 815 has only a 4x AGP so you will not be able to run it optimally. There also may be some AGP slot differences which may prevent you from even installing it.

Also Intel mobos are notorious for fighting with "foreign" video cards. Disabling the on board video can be problematic.

Good luck

Last edited:
I've never seen an AGP 8x video card that wasn't backwards compatible with 4x. It should work.

As for disabling onboard graphics, consult your manual for instructions on how to do this. You may need to change a pin setting on the motherboard or just change a setting in bios.

I recommend you get a new motherboard.

Installing a video card is a very straightforward process. First do to control panel/ system/ hardware/ device manager. Your on board graphics device will be listed under this usually under the heading "display adapter." Right click on the device and disable it. Next shut down your computer, install the graphics card, and reboot. Your computer should automatically find the new hardware and prompt you to install it. You can either use the driver cd that came with the card or download the most recent drivers at www.nvidia.com.
Your card will run fine in your mobo assuming the card is agp and your motherboard has an agp slot. It does not matter if the slot is 8x or 4x...

Thank you guys, This issue is not that I don't know how to install it , or how to Disable the on board video.I can install a hardware with my eyes close(actually that easy I think)..
I was just afraid of compatibility issues, anyway it's working fine now.
Thanks again...
One question, so i won't have a compatibility issues with any agp card on this motherboard(in general I mean)??

No you won't. AGP is AGP.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html" a link with some good AGP info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral said:
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html" a link with some good AGP info.

Thank you for this link, very helpful..

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the safety precautions I should take when upgrading my PC with a Geforce5200FX video card?

When upgrading your PC with any hardware, it is always important to take safety precautions to avoid damaging your computer or any of its components. Some key safety measures to take when upgrading with a Geforce5200FX video card include:

• Before beginning, make sure your PC is turned off and unplugged from any power source.
  • Wear an anti-static wristband to prevent any static electricity from damaging your computer or components.
  • Handle the video card carefully and avoid touching any of its components.
  • Read and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer carefully.
  • Make sure your computer has enough power to support the new video card.

2. Will the Geforce5200FX video card be compatible with my PC?

Compatibility is an important factor to consider when upgrading your PC with any new hardware. To determine if the Geforce5200FX video card is compatible with your PC, you should check the following:

• Your PC's motherboard: The Geforce5200FX video card is compatible with most motherboards, but it is important to check the specs of your motherboard to ensure compatibility.
  • Power supply unit (PSU): The Geforce5200FX video card requires a minimum power supply of 250W, so make sure your PC's PSU can provide enough power.
  • PCIe slot: The Geforce5200FX video card is designed to fit into a PCIe slot, so make sure your PC has one available.
  • Operating system: The Geforce5200FX video card is compatible with a variety of operating systems, but you should check to make sure it is compatible with your specific OS.

3. Can I install the Geforce5200FX video card myself, or do I need professional help?

The installation process for the Geforce5200FX video card is relatively straightforward, and most people with some technical knowledge should be able to install it themselves. However, if you are not comfortable with opening up your PC or handling hardware, it is always best to seek professional help to avoid any potential damage to your computer.

4. Will upgrading to the Geforce5200FX video card improve my PC's performance?

The Geforce5200FX video card is a budget-friendly option and may provide a slight improvement in performance compared to integrated graphics. However, it is not a high-end card and may not significantly improve your PC's performance for more demanding tasks such as gaming or video editing. If you are looking for a more significant performance boost, you may want to consider a higher-end video card.

5. Are there any known issues or bugs with the Geforce5200FX video card?

While the Geforce5200FX video card is a reliable and popular choice for budget-friendly upgrades, there have been some reported issues and bugs with certain models. It is always a good idea to do some research and read reviews before purchasing to ensure you are aware of any potential issues and can make an informed decision.