U.S. Surgeon general nominee assailed as anti-gay

• News
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the author writes about the sixteen year old Surgeon General, Dr. Joycelyn Elders, and her views on homosexuality. Holsinger is quoted as saying that if someone finds homosexuality unnatural he must be anti-gay. Nash, who worked under Holsinger for nine years as vice chancellor at the medical center, says that Holsinger's views on lesbian health were supportive. Holsinger is also quoted as saying that church members are banned from the congregation for drinking, gambling, extra-marital sex, and other common human habits. If the allegations are true, Holsinger should be fired for promoting hatred against a group of people.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/06/surgeon.general.gays.ap/

Sixteen years ago, he wrote a paper for the United Methodist Church in which he likened the reproductive organs to male and female "pipe fittings" and argued that homosexuality is therefore biologically unnatural.

I sure miss Joycelyn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It makes sense. The Surgeon General should recognize the risks of homosexual behavior rather than be oblivious for the sake of political correctness.

I am simply baffled how anyone could conclude that if someone finds homosexuality unnatural he must be anti-gay.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
I am simply baffled how anyone could conclude that if someone finds homosexuality unnatural he must be anti-gay.
It seems these days to not be actively gay makes one anti-gay :rolleyes:

If you read the entire article, his personal religious views are anti-gay:

As president of the church's national Judicial Council, Holsinger voted last year to support a pastor who blocked a gay man from joining a congregation. In 2004, he voted to expel a lesbian from the clergy.

On the other hand, that hasn't affected his professional actions:

Phyllis Nash, who worked under Holsinger for nine years as vice chancellor at the medical center, said the views he took in church appear at odds with his professional actions.

She recalled a women's health conference that Holsinger helped organize in 2002 that included a session on lesbian health. Despite complaints from some lawmakers, Holsinger insisted the session go forward, she said.

"His reaction in support could not have been any stronger," Nash said. "He said, as health care providers, we have to be prepared to meet the health needs of anyone who walks into the door."

As president of the church's national Judicial Council, Holsinger voted last year to support a pastor who blocked a gay man from joining a congregation. In 2004, he voted to expel a lesbian from the clergy.
Christian priests are supposed to remain celibate. This applies to homosexual priests as well. The priest that was banned from the clergy was living with another woman. This is against the methodist doctrine, just as it would be for a male priest to live with a woman.

A gay man was blocked from joining a congregation. This sounds like some kind of spin to me, since homosexuals are allowed into methodist congregations and the methodist clergy. I'm guessing that the man was blocked for a valid reason that the writer of the article conveniently neglected to mention.

I don't trust anything in this article.

Huckleberry said:
Christian priests are supposed to remain celibate.
While Catholic priests are supposed to remain celibate, this is not true for all of Christianity. In particular, Methodist ministers can marry.

D H said:
While Catholic priests are supposed to remain celibate, this is not true for all of Christianity. In particular, Methodist ministers can marry.

And, if a church follows biblical doctrine, it does not condone homosexuality.

So, he follows christian doctrine when it comes to church administration and doesn't let it influence his professional obligations. Sounds like a good thing. Especially in the face of those that are convinced that someones religious beliefs are too influential in a persons role in public office.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. I was mostly concerned that the rules as they are should be applicable to all. It does seem wrong to me to allow heterosexual ministers to marry, but not allow homosexual ministers to do likewise. In that case this becomes an entirely different issue that I would rather not discuss here.

If Holsinger uses his professional opinion to promote his personal beliefs then I can understand why groups that are oppossed to his beliefs would want to limit his career.

drankin said:
And, if a church follows biblical doctrine, it does not condone homosexuality.

So, he follows christian doctrine when it comes to church administration and doesn't let it influence his professional obligations. Sounds like a good thing. Especially in the face of those that are convinced that someones religious beliefs are too influential in a persons role in public office.

The church doesn't condone drinking, gambling, extra-marital sex, and other common human habits, either. If members are banned from the congregation for those types of offenses, then:

1) the church no longer has any positive influence on their behavior (such as making them feel guilty enough to at least reduce 'sinful' behavior).

2) the congregation is going to be extremely small after a couple of months.

Edit: Assuming the allegations are true. I can believe the church wouldn't want a gay pastor since that does go against church beliefs, but it seems a little strange to me that a person would be banned from a congregation for being gay. There might be more to it than just that.

I do think he does put medical concerns above religious concerns in his professional obligations making his actions as church administrator somewhat trivial, if not completely irrelevant. His church actions are something to be considered along with other things, but not the major factors to be considered.

Last edited:
BobG said:
The church doesn't condone drinking, gambling, extra-marital sex, and other common human habits, either. If members are banned from the congregation for those types of offenses, then:

1) the church no longer has any positive influence on their behavior (such as making them feel guilty enough to at least reduce 'sinful' behavior).

2) the congregation is going to be extremely small after a couple of months.

It depends on the church but basic biblical doctrine dictates clearly what a pastor is and is not. Those that hold a pastoral position cannot be gay, drunks, gamblers, adulterers, and practice "other common human habits" regarded as 'sinful'. To do so would not allow them to be an example of Christian conduct.

And, there are a lot of small churches out there.

BobG said:
Edit: Assuming the allegations are true. I can believe the church wouldn't want a gay pastor since that does go against church beliefs, but it seems a little strange to me that a person would be banned from a congregation for being gay. There might be more to it than just that.

Again, depends on the church. There are many "Christian" churches that have openly gay pastors or are simply gay churches.

There is specific scripture that dictates what to do with folks in the church who practice immoral behavior and show that they aren't going to stop. Certainly they are separated from the congregation for obvious reasons. If you are curious, I can PM you those passages.
BobG said:
I do think he does put medical concerns above religious concerns in his professional obligations making his actions as church administrator somewhat trivial, if not completely irrelevant. His church actions are something to be considered along with other things, but not the major factors to be considered.

Actually, it is relevant. It demonstates his character. People in office actually having character... certainly seems odd.

Huckleberry said:
I don't trust anything in this article.
I liked this part though. Ouch! :rofl:
"He said, as health care providers, we have to be prepared to meet the health needs of anyone who walks into the door."

What is the controversy surrounding the U.S. Surgeon General nominee?

The controversy surrounding the U.S. Surgeon General nominee centers around his past statements and actions that have been deemed as anti-gay. This includes his support for conversion therapy and his belief that homosexuality is a choice.

What is conversion therapy and why is it controversial?

Conversion therapy is a practice that aims to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity. It is based on the belief that being LGBTQ+ is a mental illness that can be cured. However, this practice has been widely discredited by medical professionals and is considered harmful and unethical.

Has the U.S. Surgeon General nominee apologized for his past statements?

Yes, the nominee has issued a public apology for his past statements and has stated that he no longer holds those beliefs. However, many are skeptical of his apology and question his ability to be an unbiased leader in the medical field.

Why is it important for the U.S. Surgeon General to support the LGBTQ+ community?

The U.S. Surgeon General is responsible for the nation's public health and must advocate for the well-being of all individuals, including those who identify as LGBTQ+. Having a leader who has expressed anti-gay sentiments can be harmful and create a lack of trust in the medical community for LGBTQ+ individuals.

What is the role of the U.S. Surgeon General in promoting public health for the LGBTQ+ community?

The U.S. Surgeon General plays a crucial role in promoting public health for the LGBTQ+ community by advocating for equal access to healthcare, addressing health disparities, and promoting policies that support LGBTQ+ rights. They also play a role in educating healthcare providers on how to provide culturally competent care for LGBTQ+ individuals.