What are some equations for real world physics in video games?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in basic physics equations for simple game physics, specifically the trajectory of projectiles and catenary physics. The person is looking for a specific grouping or field of physics, which is classical mechanics. They are advised to find an introductory book on the subject. There is also mention of the potential for universities to offer a class on "videogame physics."
sftrabbit
Hi,

I have an interest (for simple game physics) in basic equations like the trajectory of a projectile and catenary physics. Is there a specific grouping for these types of equations so that I can find similar ones easier? I'd like to be able to just find some and experiment with them to see what I can do.

Like... physics involving real world objects and distances and things. I really don't know how to describe it. Projectiles can be used for things like rockets and arrows, whilst catenary equations can be used for ropes and other things. Equations that also deal with things like this?

Any idea? Thanks. XD

Physics news on Phys.org
The field of physics you're looking for is called (classical) mechanics. Newton's law, forces, friction, tension, ...
Try buying a good introductory book on classical mechanics (or finding an e-book, or Wikibook, or whatever it's called), you'll probably find a lot of what you want there already.

Thanks. That was pretty obvious really, wasn't it? Haha.

as an aside, I've been seeing a lot of these "physics for games" questions, and I'm wondering--do any universities offer a class called "videogame physics" or something like that. I bet it would be a pretty good draw.

1. What is the purpose of these specific group of equations?

The purpose of these equations is to describe a relationship between different variables in a specific scenario or system. They can be used to make predictions, solve problems, or understand patterns and trends.

2. How were these equations derived?

These equations were derived through a process of observation, experimentation, and analysis. Scientists use data and observations to create mathematical models that accurately describe the behavior of a system or phenomenon.

3. Can these equations be applied in different contexts?

Yes, these equations can be applied in different contexts as long as the variables and conditions remain the same. However, they may need to be modified or adjusted in order to accurately represent the new scenario.

4. Are these equations accurate and reliable?

The accuracy and reliability of these equations depend on the quality of the data and assumptions used to derive them. They can provide a good approximation of a system's behavior, but they may not always be completely accurate.

5. How can these equations be used in real-world applications?

These equations can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, chemistry, and economics. They can help to make predictions, solve problems, and guide decision-making processes.