Water & Heat: Exploring the Atom Movement

• Thread starter The_Z_Factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Water
In summary, the water droplet on a hot surface will hover off the surface for a few seconds before evaporating or disappearing.
The_Z_Factor
I was boiling some water the other day in a pot and the stove was already hot, and a drop of water dripped from the pot onto the stove and it didnt evaporate or anything it just moved around all over the place until eventually about maybe 15-20 seconds later it "rolled" off the hot part of the stove and just evaporated or disappeared I am not exactly sure what happened.

So why does this happen? I mean, why does the water move the way it does over a hot surface, does something happen to those atoms in it so that when it comes in contact with heat they all just go crazy?

Science news on Phys.org
Surface tension holds it in a single dropplet while it is boiling away. And the heat and boiling makes it move around as it is boiling.

If I understand the OP's scenario correctly, then what's happening is that the droplet is riding on a cushion of steam that forms as soon as the drop touches the overheated surface. The tiny layer of steam prevents direct contact between the droplet and the stove, keeping the droplet "alive" for several seconds. Sooner or later, the droplet loses balance (or the steam dissipates) and falls off the steam cushion, hits the surface, and boils away.

Last edited:
could this really happen for 15 to 20 seconds

Apparently so.

I've witnessed this a few times, but never thought to ask why it happened. Thanks for the input.

I think the explanation of Gokul is correct. Steam or air has very low thermal conductivity so the droplet can survive quite a time. You can also see it jumping, because steam is created and expands suddenly making the droplet hover off the oven surface

By the way, it's known as the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect" effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh thank you everybody, and thanks cesiumfrog for the link, that pretty much sums it up.

1. What is the relationship between water and heat?

The relationship between water and heat is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics. Heat is a form of energy that can be transferred between objects, and water is a common substance that is affected by heat. When heat is added to water, the molecules in the water gain energy and move faster, causing the water to increase in temperature.

2. How does heat affect the movement of atoms in water?

Heat is a form of energy that causes the atoms in water to vibrate and move faster. This increased movement of the atoms results in an increase in the temperature of the water. As the temperature increases, the atoms move more vigorously and can break the bonds between them, causing the water to change from a liquid to a gas (i.e. boiling) or from a solid to a liquid (i.e. melting).

3. What is the role of water in regulating temperature?

Water is a unique substance because it has a high specific heat capacity, meaning that it can absorb a lot of heat energy before its temperature increases. This property makes water an excellent regulator of temperature in the environment. It can absorb excess heat energy from the surroundings, such as the sun's rays, and release it slowly, keeping the temperature relatively stable.

4. How does the movement of atoms in water contribute to its properties?

The movement of atoms in water is responsible for many of its properties. For example, the cohesive forces between water molecules are a result of the movement of atoms. The movement of atoms also allows water to change states, from liquid to gas or solid, depending on the temperature. Additionally, the movement of atoms determines the density and viscosity of water, making it essential for life and various chemical reactions.

5. How is the movement of atoms in water related to the concept of energy?

The movement of atoms in water is directly related to the concept of energy. Heat, which is a form of energy, is responsible for the movement of atoms in water, which in turn affects its temperature and other properties. The movement of atoms also requires energy, and this energy is supplied by the heat. Therefore, the movement of atoms in water is a direct result of energy transfer and is closely linked to the concept of energy.