Need help with force of electricity

In summary, four charged particles form a square with sides of 17 cm. The charges at the corners are +4.0 µC, -5.0 µC, -2.9 µC, and -9.1 µC. The net electric force on the +4.0 µC charge is being sought, along with its direction and the net electric force on the -5.0 µC charge. The Coulomb constant is 8.98755 x 10^9 N. The equations to use are F = kQq/(r^2) and |F| = k*q1*q2/r^2, with the force being directed along the line between the two charges. It is recommended
=CIA= h1tman

Homework Statement

Four charged particles are placed so that each particle is at the corner of a square. The sides of the square are 17 cm. The charge at the upper left corner is +4.0 µC, the charge at which the upper right corner is -5.0 µC, the charge at the lower left corner is -2.9 µC, and the charge at the lower right corner is -9.1 µC.

a) What is the magnitude of the net electric force on the +4.0 µC charge? (In Newtons).

b) What is the direction of this force (measured from the positive x-axis as an angle between -180 and 180, with counterclockwise positive? Answer in units of degrees.

c) What is the magnitude of the net electric force on the -5.0µC charge? (Answer in units of Newtons.)

Homework Equations

The Coulomb constant is 8.98755 x 10^9 N.

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope I posted this correctly, if not, I'm sorry for the trouble!

Thanks so much for the help, I've been trying to figure this out for days and just don't get it...There's another part to the problem that I might need help with, but I have to figure this part out first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing all four charges and then draw a force diagram for the charge of interest. You will probably find that you run into a bit of trigonometry.

But what equations should I use? (Other than trigonometry functions)

=CIA= h1tman said:

Start with F = kQq/(r^2)

=CIA= h1tman said:

|F|=k*q1*q2/r^2 and the fact that F is directed along the line between the two charges. Show us how you computed the force of ONE of the other charges on the +4 charge. That's good place to start. The forum helps those who help themselves.

1. What is the force of electricity?

The force of electricity is the force that acts between two charged particles. It is responsible for the movement of electric charges, which can result in various phenomena such as electric shock, electric currents, and electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the force of electricity measured?

The force of electricity is measured in units called Newtons (N). This measurement is based on the amount of force required to accelerate an object with a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What factors affect the force of electricity?

The force of electricity is affected by several factors, including the distance between the charged particles, the amount of charge on each particle, and the medium through which the particles are moving. The type of material that the particles are made of can also have an impact on the force of electricity.

4. How does the force of electricity relate to electric fields?

The force of electricity is closely related to electric fields. An electric field is the area around a charged particle where it can exert a force on other charged particles. The strength of the electric field determines the force that will be exerted on a charged particle within that field.

5. How is the force of electricity used in everyday life?

The force of electricity has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used to power electronic devices, such as phones and computers, and to provide lighting in homes and buildings. It is also used in industrial processes, transportation systems, and medical equipment.