Understanding Hertzian Contact Stress in Pin-Link Connections"

In summary, the attachment shows a link connected to two pins, A and B. Pin A applies force along the x direction, resulting in a reaction force at the contact point between pin B and the link. The compressive stress in this contact region is explained by the Hertzian stress. However, the method to calculate this stress using Hertzian stress criteria is not readily available in literature. The person asking for help is wondering if this is the correct approach and if anyone can provide guidance on how to calculate the contact stresses using Hertzian stress criteria. Others suggest looking into Roark's and considering hoop stress and bearing stresses.
har.sur
As shown in the attachment, the link (blue) is connected to two pins A and B (red).

Force is applied by the pin A on the link along the x direction purely.

A reaction force is expected at the corresponding point of contact between the pin B and the link

I am told that the compressive stress produced around the contact region of the pin B and the link, is explained by the hertzian stress.

I am unable to find any literature that might give me the method to calculate the contact stresses using hertzian stress criteria.

1. Is hertzian stress criteria the right way to approach this problem?
2. If yes, could someone please tell me how.

Thank you.

Attachments

• diagram.bmp
    188.5 KB · Views: 657
Engineering news on Phys.org
It may be more of an interference fit. Others may be able to help more than me. Regardless there are several calculators at:
http://www.tribology-abc.com/

Your basic assumption of Hertzian stresses may not be a bad one. I would first consider looking at Roark's, Chapter 13, Table 33, Load condition 2c to determine the bearing stresses.

I don't think Hertzian stress will act in your problem.
Gear rolling,rollers under friction drive applications are similar examples of hertzian stress
In your problem pin is fixed with link and together pin with link rotating for this type of problem you search also hoop stress topics

Prakash

What is Hertzian contact stress?

Hertzian contact stress is a type of stress that occurs at the interface of two solid objects in contact with each other. It is named after the physicist Heinrich Rudolf Hertz who first studied this phenomenon.

What causes Hertzian contact stress?

Hertzian contact stress is caused by the force applied by one object onto another when they are in contact. This force can be due to various factors such as weight, pressure, or impact.

How is Hertzian contact stress calculated?

The calculation of Hertzian contact stress involves variables such as the radius of curvature of the objects, the applied force, and the elastic properties of the materials. It can be calculated using Hertz's contact theory or through computer simulations.

What are the effects of Hertzian contact stress?

Hertzian contact stress can lead to material deformation, surface wear, and even failure of the objects in contact. It is important to consider and manage this type of stress in engineering designs to ensure the longevity and durability of the objects.

How can Hertzian contact stress be reduced?

Hertzian contact stress can be reduced by using materials with higher strength and hardness, reducing the applied force, and increasing the surface area of contact. Proper lubrication and cushioning can also help to reduce Hertzian contact stress.