Friction in Pulley System: Calculations?

• Thread starter boredaxel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary: Thanks for clarifying!Yes, static friction is definitely a force you need to consider when calculating torque.
boredaxel
If a string around a pulley is pulled without slipping, I am wondering if there is any frictional force acting on the string by the pulley. If there is, will it appear in calculations? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
boredaxel said:
If a string around a pulley is pulled without slipping, I am wondering if there is any frictional force acting on the string by the pulley.
Sure, otherwise the string couldn't turn the pulley.
If there is, will it appear in calculations?
Not usually. (It's static friction and does no work.)

but wouldn't the static friction appear in torque calculation? Also what if the string is assumed to be massless, doesn't that implies no friction and so the pulley shouldn't be able to turn?

boredaxel said:
but wouldn't the static friction appear in torque calculation?
No, it just transmits the string tension to the pulley.
Also what if the string is assumed to be massless, doesn't that implies no friction and so the pulley shouldn't be able to turn?
No.

Typical assumptions (in intro courses) are that strings are massless (and thus have the same tension throughout) and that pulleys are frictionless (not between string and pulley, but about the axle of the pulley).

Doc Al said:
No, it just transmits the string tension to the pulley.

Care to explain this? I can't really visualize it. Thanks

The pulley moves with the string because the pulley is on bearings and free to rotate. Thus it doesn't restrict the motion of the string except by its own inertia when accelerating. It is the static friction between the string and the pulley that makes the pulley rotate.

boredaxel said:
but wouldn't the static friction appear in torque calculation?

Hi boredaxel! :smile:

If the pulley has mass, and if you need to calculate the energy or angular momentum of the pulley, then yes, the friction is an external force on the pulley, and will provide a torque to the pulley.

But exam questions usually (though not always :wink:) say that pulleys are massless.
Also what if the string is assumed to be massless, doesn't that implies no friction and so the pulley shouldn't be able to turn?

Friction depends on the normal force on the pulley, and (if the string is bent round the pulley) there will always be a normal force, even if the string is massless.
Doc Al said:
Typical assumptions (in intro courses) are that strings are massless (and thus have the same tension throughout) …

Hi Doc Al! :smile: May I qualify that?

A massles string with no obstructions will have the same tension throughout (while a massive string hanging vertically will of course have more tension at the top) …

but a string touching anything (like a pulley) with friction will have different tension on either side, even if the string is massless. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
If the pulley has mass, and if you need to calculate the energy or angular momentum of the pulley, then yes, the friction is an external force on the pulley, and will provide a torque to the pulley.
Absolutely, but you generally don't need to explicitly consider static friction. The forces exerted on the pulley are represented by the tensions in the string.

but a string touching anything (like a pulley) with friction will have different tension on either side, even if the string is massless. :wink:
But not if the pulley is massless, a common assumption as you point out. I was waiting for the OP to bring up the issue of a massive pulley so I could qualify my statement. :wink: (One step at a time.)

Doc Al said:
I was waiting for the OP to bring up the issue of a massive pulley so I could qualify my statement. :wink: (One step at a time.)

ah … I guessed that's what you were thinking … but I noticed the OP had mentioned torque, so I assumed his pulley already had mass. :wink:

1. What is a frictional pulley system?

A frictional pulley system is a mechanical system that uses pulleys and ropes or belts to transmit force and motion. In this system, the pulleys have friction between the ropes and the pulley surface, which affects the tension and movement of the ropes.

2. How is friction calculated in a pulley system?

The friction in a pulley system can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface of the pulley, and the coefficient of friction depends on the materials in contact.

3. Why is friction important in pulley systems?

Friction is important in pulley systems because it affects the efficiency and effectiveness of the system. Too much friction can lead to energy loss and decreased performance, while too little friction can cause the ropes to slip and the system to fail.

4. How can friction be reduced in a pulley system?

Friction in a pulley system can be reduced by using lubricants on the pulley surface, choosing materials with low coefficients of friction, and ensuring proper alignment and tension of the ropes. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the pulley system can also help reduce friction.

5. How does the angle of the ropes affect friction in a pulley system?

The angle of the ropes in a pulley system can affect friction by changing the normal force and the direction of the frictional force. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, and the frictional force acts more parallel to the surface, increasing the friction. This can lead to higher tension and potential slipping in the ropes.