LaTeX: finding a script font a la Griffiths' QM and Electrodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good script font for math, specifically mentioning the script "r" and "S" and "s" in two textbooks. The packages calligra and French cursive have been tried, but their uppercase letters are too large and lowercase letters are too small. Zapf Chancery was also tried but was not script-y enough. The expert recommends using Lucida Calligraphy, which was used in the two mentioned textbooks and has a natural script-like feel with balanced uppercase and lowercase letters. It can be found for free on various websites.
arboretum
This may sound a bit neurotic, but after trying the calligra and frcursive packages, I feel I'm still missing out on a good, general-purpose script font for math. I'm looking for something like the script "r" on page 9 of Introduction to Electrodynamics and the script "S" and "s" on page 121 of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. The aforementioned calligra and French cursive have uppercase letters that are too large and calligra's lowercase letters are unreadably small. Moreover, I don't find the uppercase "S" to look particularly S-like---the Griffiths font is far superior. Any ideas what he used or what a good alternative is? Thanks.

edit: I've also tried Zapf Chancery, but that's not script-y enough for my tastes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The font you're looking for is probably Lucida Calligraphy, which was used in the two books you mentioned. It has a very natural, script-like feel and its uppercase letters are beautifully balanced with the lowercase letters. You can find it available for free on many websites.

I completely understand your desire for a script font that accurately reflects the style used in Griffiths' textbooks. As a scientist, precision and attention to detail are important in all aspects of our work, including the presentation of equations and mathematical symbols.

One option you could consider is the MathTime Professional 2 script font, which is specifically designed for use in mathematical equations. It includes both uppercase and lowercase letters that are similar in size and style to the ones you mentioned in Griffiths' books. Another option is the Euler script font, which is available in LaTeX and has a similar aesthetic to the one used in Griffiths' books.

It's also worth noting that Griffiths may have used a custom font for his textbooks, so it may not be possible to find an exact match. However, the MathTime and Euler fonts are widely used and have a similar look and feel.

I hope these suggestions help in your search for a suitable script font for your mathematical work. As always, it's important to choose a font that is both visually appealing and easy to read. Happy typesetting!

1. How do I find a script font in LaTeX?

In LaTeX, script fonts are typically part of a larger font package. To use a script font, you must first install the font package on your system. Then, you can use the \usepackage{fontname} command to load the font package. The font name will vary depending on the package you have installed.

2. Can I use a script font in my equations?

Yes, you can use a script font in your equations by using the \mathcal{} command. For example, \mathcal{E} will produce a script capital E in your equation.

3. Is there a specific script font used in Griffiths' QM and Electrodynamics textbooks?

Yes, the script font used in these textbooks is called "rsfs". To use this font, you can use the command \usepackage{mathrsfs} in your LaTeX document.

4. How can I change the size of a script font in LaTeX?

To change the size of a script font, you can use the \scriptsize, \tiny, or \small commands before the font command. For example, \scriptsize{\mathcal{E}} will produce a small script capital E in your equation.

5. Can I use a script font for my entire document?

Yes, you can use a script font for your entire document by changing the default font using the \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{fontname} command. Again, the font name will vary depending on the font package you have installed.