What is COBOL in Unisys Mainframe?

• Thread starter Moneer81
  • Start date
In summary, the person applying for a job has experience with COBOL but is unsure if their experience with COBOL on a regular compiler will be relevant for the job that requires experience on a Unisys mainframe. The expert summarizer reassures that COBOL behaves the same regardless of platform and any experience with COBOL is valuable. They also provide tips on how to familiarize oneself with the mainframe environment and suggest using existing source code to learn.
Moneer81
Hello,

I am applying for this job and they're looking for someone that has experience with COBOL, which I do, but they're also looking for someone with "experience with COBOL in Unisys mainframe". Now I know what a Unisys mainframe is but is programming COBOL through a regular compiler any different? Will I be able to sell myself as a good candidate for the position or is my experience with COBOL irrelevant? I obviously don't have experience working with Unisys since that is only found in places like the military and other government organization...any insight? I might have an interview soon...

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi Moneer81

I take it that your experience with COBOL is from the PC or other not mainframe environment.
Moneer81 said:
Now I know what a Unisys mainframe is but is programming COBOL through a regular compiler any different?
No, COBOL is a very standard application, it behaves and "feels" the same regardless of platform.
Moneer81 said:
Will I be able to sell myself as a good candidate for the position or is my experience with COBOL irrelevant?
No. Your experience if very relevant. In fact any experience using COBOL will make you a candidate. It is getting increasently hard to find experienced COBOL programmers.
Moneer81 said:
I obviously don't have experience working with Unisys since that is only found in places like the military and other government organization...any insight? I might have an interview soon...
There are some key activites that must be mastered on the mainframe that you don't offer much attension on smaller platforms. Here's my approch in a new shop.

Get acustumed to the application used to enter COBOL statements.
Make yourself a "Hello world" program with a stupid syntax error.
Find the correct compiler and compile the program.
Get acustumed to the application used to check compiler output listnings and check the "Hello World" output listning.
Remove the syntax error and compile the program producing a load module (careful, there are useally strict standards for load module names.)
Execute the load module. This may be tricky, the module is most likely put in the test environment.
Check the program output.

You are on your way.

Also.
There is a big difference in the administrative tasks performed by programmers. Moving loadmodules, version handeling, implementing and the like.
All mainframe setups have relativey strict roules for these things. Hence, there are standard applications used for these tasks. These applications, most noteably the moving of loadmodules, are tightly controlled by the mainframe security system.
Don't worry about it but be aware that you will have to learn how this is done in the shop. It differs vildly from one shop to another.

And fineally.
Don't waste dayes and hours trying to figure "how to open an index sequenceal file using multible key arguments".
Be a mercyless pirate, steal any source code you can find that helps you on your way. This is NOT considred a bad conduct but be open about it. (You may by accident copy some code that no longer apply to the shops coding standard)
Find the application can search through the entire COBOL source code of the shop. Use it to find the tricky code you need.

Good luck Moneer81, let us know about the job.

for your question. COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language) is a programming language that was developed in the late 1950s and is primarily used for business applications. It is still widely used in many industries, including banking, finance, and government agencies. Unisys mainframe, on the other hand, is a type of computer system that is designed for large-scale, high-performance computing. It is often used by organizations that require a high level of security and reliability, such as the military and government agencies.

Programming COBOL in a Unisys mainframe may be different from programming it through a regular compiler, as the mainframe may have its own specific set of instructions and functions. However, your experience with COBOL in general is still relevant and can be a valuable asset for the position. It is important to highlight your experience and skills in COBOL and demonstrate your ability to adapt to different systems and environments. If you have an interview, be prepared to discuss your experience with COBOL and your willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies and systems. Good luck with your interview!

1. What is COBOL in Unisys Mainframe?

COBOL stands for Common Business Oriented Language and is a high-level programming language used for developing business applications in Unisys Mainframe. It was originally designed in the late 1950s and is still widely used in mainframe systems today.

2. Why is COBOL still used in Unisys Mainframe?

COBOL is still used in Unisys Mainframe because it is a reliable and efficient language for handling large-scale business applications. Many companies have invested a significant amount of time and resources in developing and maintaining COBOL-based systems, and it is often more cost-effective to continue using COBOL rather than switching to a newer language.

3. What are the advantages of using COBOL in Unisys Mainframe?

Some advantages of using COBOL in Unisys Mainframe include its ability to handle large amounts of data, its compatibility with older systems, and its support for structured programming. COBOL also has a large library of built-in functions and is relatively easy to learn and understand, making it a popular choice for business applications.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using COBOL in Unisys Mainframe?

One potential disadvantage of using COBOL in Unisys Mainframe is its perceived lack of modern features and capabilities compared to newer programming languages. It can also be more challenging to find programmers with COBOL knowledge and expertise, which can lead to higher maintenance costs for COBOL-based systems.

5. Is COBOL in Unisys Mainframe still relevant in today's technology landscape?

Although newer programming languages have emerged, COBOL is still relevant in today's technology landscape due to its widespread use in critical business systems. Many large organizations, particularly in the financial and government sectors, continue to rely on COBOL for their mainframe applications. Additionally, there is ongoing effort to modernize and update COBOL systems to incorporate newer technologies and make them more efficient and user-friendly.