Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses)

In summary, the problem involves a chain of particles with mass m separated by springs with spring constant k. The displacement of the ith mass from its equilibrium position is q_i=q_i(t). The Lagrangian for this system is L=K-V, where K is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy. The kinetic energy is given by K=\frac{1}{2}m\frac{dq_i}{dt}^2, while the potential energy can be represented as V=\frac{1}{2}kq_i ^2 or V=kq_i ^2, depending on the original taughtness of the springs. Each mass in the chain has its own coordinate, and the total energy required is the sum of all
ballzac

Homework Statement

______|equillibrium position________
______|__i_____________________
m^^^^^m^^^^^m^^^^^m^^^^^m
____k_|qi|____k______ k________kA collection of particles each of mass m separated by springs with spring constant k. The displacement of the ith mass from its equilibrium position is q_i=q_i(t). Write the Langrangian for this one dimensional chain of masses.

Homework Equations

[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex]V=\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]
[tex]L=K-V[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have [tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dx}{dt})^2[/tex]
Can I now say
[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}m\frac{dq_i}{dt}^2[/tex]
?
(I think I have to because I then have to differentiate wrt q_i
Also, the extension of the springs to begin with must matter because if they are taught then the potential energy must be higher. Am I right? Does it matter that there is a spring on either side? I guess it does, but as the mass is just moving between its equilibrium point maybe they kind of cancel out. There are N particles, so am I right in thinking that the energy required is the sum of all functions of [tex]q_i[/tex] for every [tex]i\leq N[/tex]?

I haven't been given very long for this, and I've never come across this stuff before, so I'm having issues figuring it out. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Yeah, so I'm thinking [tex]V=\frac{1}{2}kq_i ^2[/tex] or [tex]V=kq_i ^2[/tex] but then I'm still not sure if the original taughtness of the spring comes into it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would make a different coordinate for each mass. So mass 1-x1, mass 2-x2 and so on{at equilibrium position}. Get the potentials for each mass in terms of those different coordinates. Get kinetic energy for each mass, then do L=K-V. I think the typical convention though is L=T-U.

Okay, thank you I will try that. I'm just using the notation that was given in the handouts. Not sure if there is any significance.

1. What is Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses)?

Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) is a mathematical approach used to analyze the dynamics of a system of connected masses, where each mass is linked by springs.

2. How does Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) is a more generalized approach than Newtonian mechanics, which only applies to systems with conservative forces. In Lagrangian mechanics, both conservative and non-conservative forces can be considered.

3. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) in system dynamics?

One advantage of using Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) is that it reduces the number of variables needed to describe the system, making it easier to solve complex problems. It also allows for the consideration of non-conservative forces, which are often present in real-world systems.

4. Can Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) be applied to systems with multiple degrees of freedom?

Yes, Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) can be applied to systems with any number of degrees of freedom. It is particularly useful in analyzing systems with multiple masses and springs, as it simplifies the equations of motion.

5. How is Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) used in practical applications?

Lagrangian (chain off spring connected masses) is commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze complex mechanical systems. It has applications in fields such as robotics, structural engineering, and aerospace engineering.