Schroedinger, Klein-Gordon & Dirac Propagators

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of propagators, specifically in relation to the Schroedinguer, Klein-Gordon, and Dirac equations. The main questions asked are whether propagators are hermitian operators and if their eigenfunctions are orthogonal. The conversation also touches on the idea of propagators as Green's functions and their role in perturbation methods. The final part of the conversation mentions the definition of propagators as amplitudes in quantum field theory, with some clarification on the Feynman propagator.
eljose79
Let be the propagators for the Schroedinguer,Klein-Gordon and Dirac?...are they hermitian operators?..are their eigenfunctions ortogonal?...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! This is my first post.
Do you mean "propagators are Unitary"? I think a propagator is an operator which governs time evolution of an eigenstate. In order that total of probability obtained from the integration of the eigenstate's inner product remains 1 in the course of time evolution, time evolution operator should be Unitary. If so, I think propagators are Green's function used to solve a problem by perturbation method. So although a time evolution operator of an exact solution of the problem should be Unitary, propagators are not neccesarily Unitary, I think. Propagators are not the operators which should be diagonalized by eigenfunctions in order to solve the problem. I heard that S matrix which is constructed by a propagator is Unitary, though. How do you think about this.

Propagators are usually defined not as operators but as amplitudes for particles to be created at some given point and annhilated at another.

Last edited:
Thank you! jeff. Propagators are not operators. However, I found that Feynman propagator was defined by an expectation value in vacuum of two time ordered field operators in quantum field theory. Is this what you mean?

What is the Schroedinger propagator?

The Schroedinger propagator is a mathematical function used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. It is derived from the Schroedinger equation and represents the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point in space to another in a given amount of time.

What is the Klein-Gordon propagator?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is a mathematical function used in quantum field theory to describe the propagation of scalar particles, such as the Higgs boson. It is derived from the Klein-Gordon equation and describes the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point in spacetime to another.

What is the Dirac propagator?

The Dirac propagator is a mathematical function used in quantum field theory to describe the propagation of fermions, such as electrons and quarks. It is derived from the Dirac equation and represents the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point in spacetime to another.

How are these propagators related?

The Schroedinger, Klein-Gordon, and Dirac propagators are all used to describe the time evolution of quantum systems, but they apply to different types of particles. The Schroedinger propagator is used for non-relativistic particles, the Klein-Gordon propagator for scalar particles, and the Dirac propagator for fermions.

What are some practical applications of these propagators?

These propagators are used extensively in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory to calculate the probability of a particle's position or state at a given time. They are also used in theoretical physics to study various phenomena, such as quantum tunneling and particle interactions.