Finding the force of friction acting on an object - static or kinetic friction?

In summary, the problem involves finding the friction force acting on a 70kg carton with a force of 300N applied at an angle of 15deg below the horizontal on a level floor. The coefficient of static friction is 0.4 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.28. The student is unsure which coefficient to use and how to solve for the acceleration. After breaking down the forces into their components and considering the block starts at rest, it is determined that the coefficient of static friction must be used. However, the product of the normal force and coefficient of static friction only gives the maximum value of force possible, not necessarily the frictional force that acts.
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

"A force of 300N is applied to a 70kg carton on a level floor at an angle of 15deg below the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction is 0.4 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.28. Find the friction force acting on the carton."

I don't know which coefficient to use - static or kinetic. I know that static friction involves a stationary object, so a=0 and Fnet=0... and kinetic friction involves a moving object, so Fnet=ma. I would ideally look to solve for acceleration, to see if its a zero or non-zero number, but there are too many variables to just solve for "a".

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

**u=coefficient of friction

I broke up the forces into their components:
F(y) = n - W - F(y) = n - mg + Fsin(theta) = 0
F(x) = Fcos(theta) - f(friction) = ma
So, F(x)--> un = Fcos(theta) - ma

I know that if its static friction, F(x)=f.. and if its kinetic friction, F(x)>f

The answer is 289.9N, which is Fcos(theta), but when I solve for kinetic and static friction seperately once I've found the normal, I don't get this answer at all. I'm assuming from the answer, that static friction is used, because that's why friction=Fcos(theta), so it doesn't move.

However, when I solve f(k)=u(k)*n = 0.28(603N)=167N
And f(s)=u(s)*n = 0.4(603N) = 241.2N
Both values of friction don't give me 289.9N,

Can someone help me out?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the block starts at rest, so we'll consider the coefficient of static friction. As a hint, the product of the normal force and coefficient of static friction only gives the maximum value of force possible, not necessarily the frictional force that acts. For example suppose I apply a force of 15 N in the x direction on a block of mass 300 kg. If we take the coefficient of friction to be 0.4 then F_f = (0.4)(300 kg)(9.8 m/s/s) = 1176 N. If this frictional force were to act the block would be accelerating; however, we know that it stays at rest. Therefore, we know the frictional force must be equal to the 15 N I apply. Hopefully this makes sense and helps you solve the problem.

Based on the given information, we can determine that the carton is not moving, therefore we are dealing with static friction. This means that we should use the coefficient of static friction, which is 0.4, to calculate the friction force. The formula for static friction is f(s) = u(s) * n, where u(s) is the coefficient of static friction and n is the normal force. In this case, the normal force would be equal to the weight of the carton, which is 70kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 686N. Therefore, the friction force would be 0.4 * 686N = 274.4N. This is close to the given answer of 289.9N, but there may be slight variations due to rounding errors.

It is important to use the correct coefficient of friction when calculating forces, as it can greatly affect the accuracy of your calculations. In this case, using the coefficient of kinetic friction would not give the correct answer since the carton is not in motion. It is always important to carefully read and understand the given information before attempting to solve a problem.

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is the resistance force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of the object and the surface it is in contact with.

2. How do you calculate the force of friction?

The force of friction can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by the surface on the object.

3. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force of friction that acts on an object when it is at rest and is being pushed or pulled. It is greater than kinetic friction and prevents the object from moving until the applied force is greater than the force of static friction.

4. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force of friction that acts on an object when it is in motion. It is less than static friction and is the reason for the gradual decrease in an object's speed when it is in motion.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means a rougher surface and therefore a greater force of friction. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction means a smoother surface and a lower force of friction.