Calculus-Based Physics A Free Physics Textbook by Jeffrey W. Schnick

In summary, the conversation revolved around the participants' struggles with various physics textbooks and their recommendations for alternative options. Some suggested free ebooks by authors like Jeffrey Schnick and Ben Crowell, while others recommended specific textbooks such as Giancoli's Physics 6th edition or Resnick's book. The difficulty of understanding certain topics, such as rotation and oscillation, was also mentioned. Additionally, one participant sought help with strength of materials and was recommended the textbook "Mechanics of Materials" by R.C. Hibbeler.
OldnNew72
Hello everyone. I registered here because I am having difficulty with my physics book. My class required us to purchase Tiplers Physics for scientists and engineers. However I find the book very confusing and difficult to follow. While I am sure it is a good book it just isn't the one for me.

I came across Jeffrey Schnicks free ebook and was wondering if anyone has used the book and what they thought of it. Also are there any physics books you would recommend for someone who has just started a college calculus based physics class. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I'm also looking for a good calculus-based physics book. I'm starting Physics I next semester and the professor, though he doesn't state its necessary to HAVE the book, will be using Giancoli's Physics 6th edition. I searched here around the forum and many others state Halliday and Resnick's book. There's a free eTextbook by Christoph Schiller, Motion Mountain, which unforunately, doesn't look calculus-based but so far seems like a good read.

Ben Crowell has authored several books, which he makes available for free: http://www.lightandmatter.com/. His book "Simple Nature" is calculus based.

Edit: I posted the above in case someone's looking for a free textbook. If that's not an issue, then there are many good intro textbooks available.

Last edited:
Most of the books with Serway as an author I like. The older versions are very nice imo but the symbols have changed a bit. Symbols and units can be a real problem for some folks skipping from text to text. We don't have enough letters in our alphabet and the Greek symbols are pretty much used up. The number of different hand rules presented for various fields ideas is also quite extensive and confusing.

Condensing what I have seen in Mechanics, students on the whole have the most problems in the following areas:
1. Rotation
2. Oscillation

In electricty and magnetism I guess you can name it. Static electricity is not so bad until Guauss' Law. Circuits are not so bad until RC, RL, RLC circuits. Maxwells stuff built on Faraday and others takes patience. Field theory is not terribly intuitive imo. So far all you people having trouble in this section, it takes time and I feel your pain as I was not trained in Physics. This is coming from a molecular biology, biochemistry guy who is always learning Physics. Some people who understand Physics extraordinarily well are sometimes the worst at explaining it because they may have a great deal of difficulty understanding what you do not understand. Hang tough. The more people you talk to and listen to (along with practice, practice, practice) the more beautiful Physics becomes. On the Classical level it is so much "cleaner" than Biology and Chemistry.

Oh yes.

And since I have found this site I like reading the questions and discussion that I think I have a feel for and then gather new ways of looking at what I thought I understood. And of course spending more time on things I am a bit shaky on. I like this site. There are varying degrees of difficulty with people that seem very nice about explaining things.

exparrot said:
Yeah, I'm also looking for a good calculus-based physics book. I'm starting Physics I next semester and the professor, though he doesn't state its necessary to HAVE the book, will be using Giancoli's Physics 6th edition. I searched here around the forum and many others state Halliday and Resnick's book. There's a free eTextbook by Christoph Schiller, Motion Mountain, which unforunately, doesn't look calculus-based but so far seems like a good read.

Be careful. You seem to be endeavoring in a calculus-based physics class, and Giancoli Physics 6th Edition is quite certainly only algebra-based (I know this, because I am currently in an algebra-based physics class, using this book). I am not very well knowledged in this particular subject, but I know that this is not what you are looking for, albeit it is a good book.

Doc Al said:
Ben Crowell has authored several books, which he makes available for free: http://www.lightandmatter.com/. His book "Simple Nature" is calculus based.

Edit: I posted the above in case someone's looking for a free textbook. If that's not an issue, then there are many good intro textbooks available.

I started reading the electricity and magnetism book a year or two ago (can't remember) and I didn't like it, it was too simple compared to even a general physics book, and didn't cover enough topics. Just my two cents.

qspeechc said:
I started reading the electricity and magnetism book a year or two ago (can't remember) and I didn't like it, it was too simple compared to even a general physics book, and didn't cover enough topics. Just my two cents.
Make sure you're looking at the book I mentioned, "Simple Nature", which is the one for engineers. His stand alone E&M book is meant for non-engineers.

Is there any free book(s) available that has sets of exercises after each chapter? I'm looking for more practice material but most of the free content available online (the books I've found / the classes on iTunes U) only have theory, no practice problems.

I'm glad to have access to all this free content but would really like to be able to practice it!

i have tipler's too and i hate it. thanks for everyone's opinions!

I found Resnick to be a wonderful text.

Well, Maxwells stuff built on Faraday and others takes patience.

Doc Al said:

Thank you for providing such a good site

Hei, help me too. I'm an engineering student having problem wit my strength of material.

Oyega said:
Hei, help me too. I'm an engineering student having problem wit my strength of material.

I would recommend checking out "Mechanics of Materials" by R.C. Hibbeler...i picked up one of the old second edition ones on amazon for really cheap. It was used of course, but in good condition and the material is all relevant. This book does assume basic calculus, but that's almost necessary for solid mechanics. It explains derivations much better than the required book when I took the class.

What is "Calculus-Based Physics A Free Physics Textbook by Jeffrey W. Schnick"?

"Calculus-Based Physics A Free Physics Textbook by Jeffrey W. Schnick" is a comprehensive online resource that covers the fundamental concepts of physics using calculus. It is designed for students and teachers who are interested in a more rigorous and mathematical approach to learning physics.

What topics are covered in "Calculus-Based Physics A Free Physics Textbook by Jeffrey W. Schnick"?

This textbook covers a wide range of topics including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It also includes sections on mathematical methods and problem-solving techniques that are frequently used in physics.

Is this textbook suitable for beginners?

This textbook is primarily designed for students who have a strong understanding of calculus and are looking to deepen their understanding of physics. While it may be challenging for beginners, it can still be a valuable resource for those who are willing to put in the effort to learn the material.

Are there any interactive elements or practice problems in this textbook?

Yes, this textbook includes interactive simulations, videos, and practice problems to help students better understand and apply the concepts covered in each chapter. There are also end-of-chapter review questions and practice exams to test your understanding.

Is "Calculus-Based Physics A Free Physics Textbook by Jeffrey W. Schnick" a reliable source of information?

Yes, this textbook is written by a physicist with over 25 years of teaching experience and has been reviewed by other experts in the field. It is regularly updated to ensure accuracy and relevance, making it a reliable source of information for students and teachers alike.