Teach yourself kit on how to use capacitors and resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a teach-yourself kit for capacitors and resistors, as well as a stamp chip for programming LED lights. The individual has questions about loading programs onto the chip and the availability of a larger breadboard for a new project. The conversation also mentions the use of ICSP programming and the difference between a PIC programmer and an ICSP programmer. Various options and suggestions are also mentioned, such as using Picaxe chips for programming at a lower cost.
Yportne
So i decided to get this teach yourself kit on how to use capacitors and resistors and a stamp chip or something like that. Its working great and I'm making LED's flash and stuff...but it uses a serial interface to load the program I make into the stamp.

My question is, if i have a real thing made without using a breadboard then how to I get the program loaded onto the chip? also does each micro-controller have its own software to make programs?

P.S. anyone know where I can buy a bigger breadboard? this one was designed specifically for this kit...i kinda want a big one to start a cooler project :)

Engineering news on Phys.org

Depends on the microcontroller, but in general most of the mid- to high-end ones support ICSP (in-circuit serial programming). To use this, you include some form of wire-to-board connector, such as a pin header or RJ-type modular jack, with traces going to the pins required for ICSP programming (typically 5 or 6 pins). You'll also need a programmer capable of ICSP programming.

Whats the difference between a PIC programmer and a ICSP programmer

PIC is a specific brand of microcontroller. A programmer for PIC uCs may or may not support ICSP programming.

We had a very similar thread a couple of weeks ago.

You might like to click on this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=331073
and read through it.

Picaxe chips are the obvious choice and the language is almost identical to Stamp but at a fraction of the cost.
They do on-board proramming with a simple cable.

There are other suggestions in that thread, too.

1. What are capacitors and resistors?

Capacitors and resistors are electronic components that are commonly used in electronic circuits. Capacitors store electrical energy, while resistors limit the flow of electrical current.

2. How do capacitors and resistors work?

Capacitors store energy by creating an electric field between two conductive plates. The amount of energy they can store is determined by their capacitance, which is measured in farads. Resistors, on the other hand, work by resisting the flow of electrical current, converting electrical energy into heat.

3. What are some common uses for capacitors and resistors?

Capacitors are commonly used in filtering, timing, and energy storage circuits. They are also used in power supplies to smooth out voltage fluctuations. Resistors are used in a variety of applications, such as voltage dividers, current limiters, and signal conditioning circuits.

4. How do I choose the right capacitor or resistor for my project?

The right capacitor or resistor for your project will depend on the specific requirements and circuit design. Capacitors come in a range of capacitance values and voltage ratings, while resistors come in different resistance values and power ratings. It's important to select components that can handle the voltage and current requirements of your circuit.

5. Can I use capacitors and resistors interchangeably?

No, capacitors and resistors have different roles in a circuit and cannot be used interchangeably. However, in some cases, a combination of capacitors and resistors can be used to achieve a specific function, such as in a low-pass or high-pass filter circuit.