Apparent weight/elevator problem

• Thread starter stressedout09
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics experiment where a person stands on a bathroom scale in an elevator and the scale reads a higher weight than their normal weight. The magnitude of the elevator's acceleration is calculated using Newton's 2nd law. The conversation also mentions the possibility of calculating the velocity of the elevator, but this remains unanswered.
stressedout09

Homework Statement

As part of a physics experiment, you stand on a bathroom scale in an elevator. Though your normal weight is 610 N, the scale at the moment reads 760 N. Calculate the magnitude of the elevator's acceleration. What, if anything, can you say about the velocity of the elevator? Explain.

Homework Equations

Wa=m(g+a) maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

760=62(12.2+a)
i know its not right and its driving me nuts -_- please help =(

Physics news on Phys.org
Do it step by step:
What forces act on you? What's the net force? What's your mass?
Apply Newton's 2nd law.

jeez -_- that was so easy LOL thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction...i have laryngitis so my mind isn't exactly functioning correctly =)

Doc Al said:
Do it step by step:
What forces act on you? What's the net force? What's your mass?
Apply Newton's 2nd law.

i figured out the acceleration...2.4 m/s^2 but i don't know how to answer this part...What, if anything, can you say about the velocity of the elevator? Explain.

1. What is Apparent Weight/Elevator Problem?

Apparent Weight/Elevator Problem is a concept in physics that deals with the measurement of weight in different frames of reference. It is commonly encountered in situations where there is a change in acceleration or motion, such as in an elevator or amusement park ride.

2. How is Apparent Weight calculated?

To calculate Apparent Weight, we use the equation: Apparent Weight = Actual Weight + (Mass x Acceleration). This takes into account the change in acceleration and the effect it has on the weight of an object.

3. What is the difference between Actual Weight and Apparent Weight?

Actual Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object, while Apparent Weight is the perceived weight of an object in a certain frame of reference. Actual Weight remains constant, while Apparent Weight can change depending on the acceleration or motion of the object.

4. How does the Apparent Weight of an object change in an elevator?

In an elevator, the Apparent Weight of an object changes as the elevator accelerates or decelerates. When the elevator is moving upwards and accelerating, the Apparent Weight increases as the Normal Force acting on the object increases. On the other hand, when the elevator is moving downwards and decelerating, the Apparent Weight decreases as the Normal Force decreases.

5. What is the relationship between Apparent Weight and Inertial Frames of Reference?

Apparent Weight is dependent on the Inertial Frame of Reference. In an Inertial Frame of Reference, where there is no acceleration or motion, the Apparent Weight is equal to the Actual Weight. However, in a non-inertial frame, such as an elevator, the Apparent Weight differs from the Actual Weight due to the change in acceleration.