Can Exposure to Language Through Loudspeakers Create New Brain Circuits?

• Medical
  • Thread starter algis.j
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "critical period" in which learning can take place through exposure to new stimuli. The question is raised if this period can be extended or recreated and what factors contribute to its occurrence.
algis.j
hello;

Sorry probably the thread title is wrong; but I wonder:

If loudspeakers (TV?) all day long broadcast messages (audible and perhaps randomly visible) on a mid-term (2/3 months) many hours (working/classes hours) - would that "help" to create new brain circuits?
ie.: if I keep broadcasting Spanish lessons (including images or not); would that 'create' new circuits or would it 'refine' existing pathways? And - of course - would that enhance my Spanish? (Spanish used as an example).

Sorry I might not be clear enough expressing myself :blushing:

Thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
The general idea is that when an organism is very young, within a "critical period", then learning can take place just by exposure to new stimuli. After the critical period, new stimuli only stimulate plasticity when the organism pays attention to the stimuli and uses the them to figure how it should behave. This is just a rule of thumb, and specific cases must be treated as such.

What is that 'critical period' and is it possible to extend or recreate that period? What (physically) make that period possible?

(I assume 'the period' to be very young and going to descend regularly until late teenage??).

What is neuroplasticity?

Neuroplasticity refers to the brain's ability to change and adapt throughout a person's life. It involves the formation of new neural connections and the reorganization of existing ones.

How can neuroplasticity be triggered?

Neuroplasticity can be triggered through various activities such as learning new skills, physical exercise, and exposure to new environments or experiences.

What are the benefits of triggering neuroplasticity?

Triggering neuroplasticity can lead to improved cognitive abilities, increased memory, and enhanced learning and problem-solving skills. It can also help in recovering from brain injuries and neurological disorders.

Are there any negative effects of triggering neuroplasticity?

No, there are no known negative effects of triggering neuroplasticity. However, it is important to consult a healthcare professional before attempting any activities that involve significant changes to the brain.

Can neuroplasticity be triggered at any age?

Yes, neuroplasticity can occur at any age, although it is most prominent during childhood and adolescence. However, with the right stimulation and effort, it is possible to trigger neuroplasticity in adults as well.

Back