Reciprocal of a quadratic function - math help

In summary, for the function y = 1 / ((x-1)^2), the sign of slope is negative and the change in slope is increasing for the interval x > 1. This is shown in the provided graph, where the slope starts off as a large negative number and becomes smaller as x increases, approaching zero. This aligns with the definition of slope as the tangent to the curve. There may be ambiguity in the textbook's language, but the magnitude of the slope is indeed decreasing. Additionally, for this graph on the interval x > 1, the second derivative (y'') is greater than zero, indicating that the slope (y') is increasing.
Matt1234

Homework Statement

For the function y = 1 / ((x-1)^2)
what is:

a) the sign of slope
b) change in slope (increasing or decreasing)

for the interval x > 1

Here is the graph:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3204/12491454.jpg

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I said the slope is negative and the change in slope is increasing (going closer to zero) as the values of x increase. But the answer in the text says its negative but the slope is decreasing. I compared to a few other text questions and it goes back and forth on the same shape on other questions, am i missing something?

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For x>1, the slope is very steep at first, and levels out as x gets bigger and bigger. What does that say about whether the slope is increasing or decreasing? Remember the definition of the slope (it's the tangent to the curve, right?).

looking at the value of the slope initially for small values of X its a large negative number. Then as x increases the slope becomes a smaller negative figure. This means its approaching zero, therefore increasing in my eyes. This is also the way the teacher showed us, the book flops back and forth with answers in other questions. Is my thinking correct?

Ah, I see the ambiguity now. Hmm. You could say that the magnitude of the slope is decreasing. Is the word "magnitude" used by the book maybe?

Matt1234,
I agree with you. For x > 1, the slope is negative, and it is increasing. I don't know if you know about the 2nd derivative yet, but for your graph on the same interval, y'' > 0, which is equivalent to saying that y' is increasing.

cool, that's what i needed to hear. :) i am familiar with calclus and the senond derivative, this is just a simple functions math course, cacl is next semister, lol. From high school to graduating 3 years of college then back to high school then 4 years of university. :)

What is the reciprocal of a quadratic function?

The reciprocal of a quadratic function is a function that is formed by taking the reciprocal of every term in the original quadratic function. This means that the x^2 term becomes 1/x^2, the x term becomes 1/x, and the constant term becomes 1/constant.

How do you graph the reciprocal of a quadratic function?

To graph the reciprocal of a quadratic function, you can use the following steps:

1. Graph the original quadratic function.
  2. Find the reciprocal of each point on the graph by switching the x and y coordinates.
  3. Plot these new points on the graph.
  4. Connect the points to form the graph of the reciprocal function.

What is the relationship between the graph of a quadratic function and its reciprocal?

The graph of a quadratic function and its reciprocal are related in that they are reflections of each other across the line y = x. This means that any point on the graph of the quadratic function will have a corresponding point on the graph of its reciprocal, and vice versa.

What are the key features of the graph of a reciprocal quadratic function?

The key features of the graph of a reciprocal quadratic function are:

• It has a vertical asymptote at x = 0, where the original quadratic function has a horizontal asymptote.
  • It has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0, where the original quadratic function has a vertical asymptote.
  • The graph is symmetrical about the line y = x.
  • The maximum or minimum point of the original quadratic function becomes the x-intercept of the reciprocal function, and vice versa.

How can the reciprocal of a quadratic function be used in real life?

The reciprocal of a quadratic function can be used in real life to model situations where there is an inverse relationship between two variables. For example, the distance traveled by a car can be represented by a quadratic function, and the time it takes to travel that distance can be represented by the reciprocal of that quadratic function. This can be useful in calculating things like average speed or fuel efficiency.