Graduate Admission: Advice for International Student in Expt HEP

In summary, international student with poor physics gre score is looking for advice on which universities might accept him for an experimental HEP program. Rutgers, Rice, UC Irvine, University of Florida, Gainesville, University of Rochester, UC Santa Cruz, Penn State University, University Park, University of Pittsburgh, and UC Riverside are some of the universities mentioned. The subject test taken is the Physics GRE. The reader is looking for advice on how to improve their score to be accepted into the universities. As an international student, the reader knows that their score is not good enough, but that they are good enough for a university like Rutgers or Rice. If the application comes to the department, they will look at it. However, if the score is
Amith2006
I am an international student and I need some advice regarding applying to phd program in expt HEP. The following are my scores:
General GRE
Verbal-660
Quant-790
AWA-4

Subject GRE-820(75 percentile)
TOEFL-96
I also have one publication to my credit and good recos. Any chances of finding admission in universities ranking between 30 to 50? Other than the top 15 universities,what are the other good universities for Expt HEP?

Physics news on Phys.org
What subject test did you take?
What do you mean by Expt HEP?
What "ranking" are you basing the question on?

Probably "expt HEP" means "experimental high energy [particle] physics". (but nevertheless, it's not a good idea to use abbreviations like this, unless you define them first!)

-DB said:
What subject test did you take?
What do you mean by Expt HEP?
What "ranking" are you basing the question on?

I mean experimental HEP. I have short listed some universities based on the US news report of 2008.

Rutgers state university New Jersy
Rice University
UC, Irvine
University of Florida, Gainesville
University of Rochester, New York
Texas A & M University, college station
UC, Santa Cruz
Penn State University, University Park
University of Pittsburgh, PA
UC, Riverside

By subject test I mean Physics GRE. U don't apply for HEP with math or chem GRE I presume. How do these universities appear as far as experimental HEP is concerned buddy?

As an international student, I know my physics gre score is not that good. But is good enough for a university like Rutgers or Rice. Rice university has mentioned in their website that the minimum physics gre score is 832(72 percentile). Though I have the required percentile, but less than 832. So, will they deny even considering the application?

Amith2006 said:
...So, will they deny even considering the application?

You should ask a representative from the University. Only they will give you the correct answer.

CS

Amith2006 said:
As an international student, I know my physics gre score is not that good. But is good enough for a university like Rutgers or Rice. Rice university has mentioned in their website that the minimum physics gre score is 832(72 percentile). Though I have the required percentile, but less than 832. So, will they deny even considering the application?

In my experience, when a department sets a "minimum" score, they do so to limit the number of applicants, but generally believe that the actual cutoff will be higher.

That said, if the application comes to their department, they'll probably look at it. What could put you over the edge is research experience (if you have it). A readers score (of your personal statement and letters of recommendation (which should stress research experience, if you have it) is probably weighted into the final ranking of candidates and could slip you into the acceptance range.

physics girl phd said:
In my experience, when a department sets a "minimum" score, they do so to limit the number of applicants, but generally believe that the actual cutoff will be higher.

I agree that this is probably right in most cases. I've also seen (outside physics), however, when someone's boss sets the minimum, and the person or people actually making the decisions don't care at all about the score relative to other factors.

So, how about my choice of universities? Any idea about the quality of research going on in these universities? Any suggestion is welcome buddy!

To know the quality of research, you should read journal papers, and try to have some sense of their work.

What is the application process for graduate admission as an international student in experimental high energy physics?

The application process for graduate admission as an international student in experimental high energy physics typically involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or TOEFL). Each university may have slightly different requirements, so it is important to carefully review the application instructions for each school you are applying to.

Are there any specific qualifications or prerequisites for international students applying to graduate programs in experimental high energy physics?

Most graduate programs in experimental high energy physics require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics or engineering. Some schools may also require applicants to have a minimum GPA or to have completed specific coursework in physics or mathematics. Additionally, international students may need to demonstrate English proficiency through standardized tests like the TOEFL.

What can international students do to strengthen their application for graduate programs in experimental high energy physics?

One way for international students to strengthen their application is to gain research experience in experimental high energy physics through internships, research assistantships, or independent projects. Additionally, strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and a competitive GPA and standardized test scores can also help strengthen an application.

What financial aid options are available for international students in experimental high energy physics graduate programs?

Many universities offer financial aid options for international students, including scholarships, grants, and teaching or research assistantships. It is important to research the financial aid options available at each university and to contact the financial aid office for more information. Some governments and organizations also offer scholarships specifically for international students studying in the field of experimental high energy physics.

What advice do you have for international students considering graduate programs in experimental high energy physics?

My advice for international students considering graduate programs in experimental high energy physics is to carefully research and compare different universities and programs to find the best fit for your interests and goals. It is also important to reach out to current graduate students or professors in the field for advice and to familiarize yourself with the culture and expectations of the country you will be studying in. Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek support from your university's international student services office.