Proving an equivalence relation

In summary, on the set of integers, the relation R is defined by aRb if ab>=0. To determine if R is an equivalence relation, three properties need to be satisfied: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. 1) R is reflexive if for all a∈Z, aRa. This is true because if a is a negative integer, aa>=0, if a is a positive integer, aa>=0, and if a=0, aa>=0. 2) R is symmetric if for all a,b∈Z, ab>=0 implies ba>=0. This is true because if ab>=0, then a>=0 and b>=0, and therefore ba>=0.
missavvy

Homework Statement

On the set of integers, define the relation R by: aRb if ab>=0.

Is R an equivalence relation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

R is an equivalence relation if it satisfies:

1) R is reflexive
Show that for all a∈Z, aRa.

Let a∈Z. Then if a is a negative integer, aa>=0. If a is a positive integer, aa>=0. And if a = 0, aa>=0.
Hence aRa

I feel like it is too simple.. lacking something??

2) R is symmetric
Show that for all a∈Z, aRb --> bRa

Let a∈Z, b∈Z such that aRb. By the definition of R, ab>=0.
This is not symmetric. Take a = -1, b = 2.
Then we have ab = -2 which is not >= 0.

3) R is transitive
if aRb and bRc implies aRc for all a,b,c ∈ Z

Let a, b, c ∈ Z s/t aRb, bRc --> aRc

Now I think this one is true.. but I'm not sure. But since aRb, and bRc, then you would always have ab or bc >=0 yea? so that means aRc must be true..
How would I prove it properly if it is correct?

Any help is appreciated! :) Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) is too simplistic because you didn't take account of the case a<0. 2) That (-1)R(2) is false doesn't prove anything. You want to prove if ab>=0 THEN ba>=0. For 3) suppose one of a,b and c is 0. Can you show with a simple example that it's not true?

1) I had that if it was a negative integer, which is the case of a<0 no?

The problem was I was doing them backwards, assuming the relation first rather than the property.

2)
Let a, b ∈ Z s/t ab>=0 --> a>=0, b>=0, so ab>=0 then ba>=0

So I think this is actually symmetric. I am not sure though, because I used the inequality to solve for a and b, but am I allowed to do that??

3) Let a, b, c ∈ Z s/t ab>=0 and bc>=0
So I should prove ac>=0
Let a = 1, b = 0, c = -1
Then we have ab>=0, bc>=0, but ac<0
so its false.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I see you did cover the negative case for 1). Sorry, somehow I didn't see that. But then for 2) ab>=0 doesn't imply a>=0 and b>=0. But it certainly does imply ba>=0. And yes, 3) is false. Just as you say.

What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two objects or elements, where the objects are considered "equivalent" in some way. This relationship is symmetrical, transitive, and reflexive, meaning that it is true for all elements involved.

How do you prove that a relation is reflexive?

To prove that a relation is reflexive, you must show that every element in the set is related to itself. In other words, for all elements a in the set, (a,a) must be a part of the relation. This can be done by showing that the statement "a is related to a" is true for all elements in the set.

What is the transitive property of an equivalence relation?

The transitive property of an equivalence relation states that if two elements are related, and the second element is related to a third element, then the first element must also be related to the third element. In other words, if (a,b) and (b,c) are a part of the relation, then (a,c) must also be a part of the relation.

How do you prove that a relation is symmetric?

To prove that a relation is symmetric, you must show that if (a,b) is a part of the relation, then (b,a) is also a part of the relation. In other words, if two elements are related in one direction, they must also be related in the opposite direction.

Why is it important to prove an equivalence relation?

Proving an equivalence relation is important because it allows us to classify and group objects or elements into sets based on their common properties or characteristics. This helps us to better understand and analyze mathematical concepts and relationships, and can also be applied in various real-world situations.