Building Telescope Signting Laser

In summary: A laser will wash out your vision and is not as accurate.In summary, the individual recently purchased a basic 6-inch Equatorial Reflector telescope to further their interest in astronomy. However, they have found the bulky Equatorial mount difficult to accurately align with Polaris, leading them to use it as a dobsonian mount. They are interested in mounting a green laser on the scope to more easily locate objects. Suggestions include using a laser mount or a Telrad for accurate sighting.
wil3
Hello! I recently purchased a basic 6-inch Equatorial Reflector telescope. I bought it because I loved doing astronomy with large binoculars, and I assumed the next step was a small reflector telescope.

However, I find myself barely using the new scope because the bulky Equatorial mount is very difficult to accurately align with Polaris, and so when I use it I loosen the joints and treat it like a dobsonian mount.

This naturally requires me to do a lot of re-aiming and adjusting as a I view, which makes it frustrating to use because the sighting scope is terrible.

When I worked with binoculars, I often used a green laser pointer to point out an object, and then I found the beam in the binoculars. I would like to do something similar with the telescope, except I want to mount the laser on the body of the scope in such a way that it always points to the center of the field of view.

I am using a basic push-button laser, and I have no idea how to mount it such that it points with such precision. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions regarding how I should do this? I need to be able to adjust the pan and tilt of the laser easily.

Thank you very much!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lock your mount at your latitude and manhandle the mount north. Locate an object of known declination using your setting circles. Adjust mount to match that declination. It won't be perfect, but, you will almost always have object you are trying to find within your field of view.

Aligning an equatorial isn't that bad - since it is a manual mount, the accuracy isn't critical. Here's what you do:

1. Your elevation/latitude axis should have markings for your latitude. Set it and forget it (you only do this once).
2. Set up your telescope and tripod to point roughly north.
3. Swing the counterweights to point toward the ground - your telescope will be directly above.
4. Set your declination axis to 90 degrees (again, it should have markings). This will point the telescope parallel to the polar axis. In other words...
5. Your telescope should now be pointing at Polaris. If it isn't, pick the whole thing up and rotate it until it does. If you want to make a fine adjustment to the elevation axis, now is the time.

This procedure should get you within a degree or two of the north pole - good enough for manual, visual observing.

After that, you just unlock the dec and ra axes and swing it wherever you want it.

I agree with earlier posts- spring for a $35 Telrad. Telrads are simple to use, preserve your night vision, and provide accurate sighting.

1. How does a telescope sighting laser work?

A telescope sighting laser works by emitting a beam of highly focused light that can be seen from a distance. This beam is used to align the telescope with a specific target in the sky, making it easier to locate and observe objects.

2. What is the purpose of a telescope sighting laser?

The purpose of a telescope sighting laser is to aid in the alignment and pointing of a telescope. It can also be used to improve the accuracy and precision of observations by providing a visual reference point.

3. Can any laser be used as a telescope sighting laser?

No, not all lasers are suitable for use as a telescope sighting laser. The laser must have a specific wavelength and power output that is safe for use with telescopes and will not damage the optics or interfere with observations.

4. How do you choose the right telescope sighting laser?

The right telescope sighting laser will depend on the type of telescope and the specific needs of the user. Factors to consider include the wavelength and power output of the laser, as well as any additional features such as adjustable brightness or beam width.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a telescope sighting laser?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines when using a telescope sighting laser. This includes avoiding pointing the laser at people or animals, as well as using appropriate eye protection when operating the laser.