What time does the grinding wheel stop spinning? (constant ang. accel.)

In summary, the grinding wheel started with an angular velocity of 24.0 rad/s and an angular acceleration of 30.0 rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker tripped at t=2s. It then coasted to a stop at constant angular acceleration, turning through 432 radians in the process. To calculate the total angle turned, theta-f.(2) was solved to get 540 radians. The time it took to stop was found using the quadratic formula, giving an answer of 12.3 seconds. However, when using the equation omega-f.^2=omega-in.^2 + 2*alpha*(theta-f. - theta-in.), a negative value for alpha was obtained.
physx_420

Homework Statement

At t=0, a grinding wheel has omega=24.0rad/s, alpha=30.0rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker trips at t=2s. From then on it turns through 432rad as it coasts to a stop at constant alpha.
a) through what total angle did the wheel turn between t=0 and the time it stopped?
b) what time did it stop?
c) what was its acceleration as it slowed down?

Homework Equations

theta-f.=theta-in. + omega*t + 1/2*alpha*t^2
omega-f.^2=omega-in.^2 + 2*alpha*(theta-f. - theta-in.)
[-B+sqrt(b^2 - 4AC)]/2A

The Attempt at a Solution

for a) I solved theta-f.(2) to get 540 radians.
for b) I plugged in the final value of theta and moved everything over so I could use the quadratic equation to get t=.5 sec, but the answer is 12.3 s...I'm not sure where I went wrong. Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
?for c) I used the equation omega-f.^2=omega-in.^2 + 2*alpha*(theta-f. - theta-in.), and plugged in the initial omega and theta, and substituted t for .5, but that gave me a negative value for alpha.

1. What is constant angular acceleration?

Constant angular acceleration refers to the consistent increase or decrease in the rotational speed of an object over time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's angular velocity changes.

2. How is constant angular acceleration calculated?

Constant angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for constant angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the constant angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

3. Why is constant angular acceleration important for grinding wheels?

Constant angular acceleration is important for grinding wheels because it allows for a consistent and predictable grinding process. The wheel's rotation must be at a constant speed to ensure accurate and efficient grinding.

4. How does the grinding wheel's angular acceleration affect the grinding process?

The grinding wheel's angular acceleration directly affects the speed and efficiency of the grinding process. A higher angular acceleration can result in faster grinding, while a lower angular acceleration can provide more precise and controlled grinding.

5. What factors can affect the grinding wheel's angular acceleration?

The grinding wheel's angular acceleration can be affected by various factors, such as the wheel's diameter, the material being ground, the amount of pressure applied, and the condition of the wheel's surface. Friction and external forces can also impact the wheel's angular acceleration.