Which is the correct base structure of Penicillin?

In summary, there are two different diagrams of penicillin's chemical structure, with one showing a double bond after the R group attachment and the other not. However, the second diagram is considered more accurate and shows the proper relation of the R group to the lactam ring. Both diagrams represent penicillin, but the first one lacks the correct double bond and is often used to show a different form of penicillin called penicillanic acid.
Adam_h
Hi, I have done quite a bit of looking about and I'm aware that there are many forms of penicillin...
While looking at the base structure of penicillin i have found two different kinds... At a guess i'd say one is synthetic and one is natural form?

Could someone possibly clear this up for me? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Here are the two pictures of the chem structures, i need to know which is the main base for Pen...

Number 1 -
penicillin.1.jpg

Number 2 -
250px-Penicillin-core.png

Biology news on Phys.org
Adam_h;2825659 Could someone possibly clear this up for me? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Here are the two pictures of the chem structures said:
135649[/ATTACH]

Number 2 -
250px-Penicillin-core.png

The second shows the proper relation (according to my source) of the R group to the lactam ring but otherwise lacks the detail of the first. .

Attachments

• penicillin.1.jpg
    penicillin.1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your reply...
So in theory they are both correct, just another way of showing the same thing?

Adam

Adam_h said:
Hi, thanks for your reply...
So in theory they are both correct, just another way of showing the same thing?

Adam

No. I edited by last post. The second one is correct according to several sources. The first lacks an oxygen double bond just after the R group attachment.

http://www.worldofmolecules.com/drugs/penicillin.htm

Always check what is actually posted rather than what shows in your email. It seems that the first diagram is defining the R group a bit differently, but not all R groups have the -CONH- chain.

http://www.biology.ed.ac.uk/research/groups/jdeacon/microbes/penicill.htm

Last edited:
Hi, I did actually check on the forum... No worries though.

So it still is number 1 still penicillin? just part of another strand of penicillin?

Thanks again
Adam

Adam_h said:
Hi, I did actually check on the forum... No worries though.

So it still is number 1 still penicillin? just part of another strand of penicillin?

Thanks again
Adam

Diagram number one has the core beta lactam structure according to my second link. However, most diagrams of PCN include the double bond O next to the R attachment (see link one). If you remove the R-O-, and substitute a hydrogen you get penicillanic acid.

1. What is the correct base structure of Penicillin?

The correct base structure of Penicillin is a four-ring structure consisting of a beta-lactam ring, a thiazolidine ring, a phenyl ring, and a carboxylic acid group.

2. How does the structure of Penicillin affect its antibiotic properties?

The structure of Penicillin is essential for its antibiotic properties as the beta-lactam ring is responsible for its ability to inhibit bacterial cell wall synthesis, making it an effective antibiotic against certain types of bacteria.

3. Is there only one form of Penicillin base structure?

No, there are several forms of Penicillin base structure, with the main differences being in the side chains attached to the four-ring structure. These side chains can affect the potency, spectrum of activity, and stability of the Penicillin molecule.

4. How was the base structure of Penicillin discovered?

The base structure of Penicillin was first discovered by Scottish biologist and pharmacologist Alexander Fleming in 1928. He observed that a fungus called Penicillium notatum had the ability to inhibit the growth of bacteria and later identified the structure of Penicillin as the active component responsible for its antibiotic properties.

5. Has the base structure of Penicillin been modified over time?

Yes, the base structure of Penicillin has been modified over time to create different types of Penicillin antibiotics with improved properties and effectiveness. These modifications include changes in the side chains and the addition of new functional groups to the four-ring structure.