Hydrogen atom, muon substitution, helium muon fusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the substitution of an electron with a muon in a neutral hydrogen atom and the calculations involved in determining the Bohr radius for the ground state of this new atom, as well as the fraction of the muon that is located inside the proton. It also raises the question of whether it is possible to form a negatively charged helium atom by attaching a muon to it. The conversation also touches on the topic of probability densities and the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. Ultimately, it is suggested to clarify the meaning of the question in order to accurately calculate the desired fraction.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Substitute an electron in a neutral hydrogen atom with a muon.
a) calculate the Bohr radius of the ground state for this myonic atom of atom. The answer must be right to at least 2 significant digits.
b) Calculate the fraction of the myon that is located inside the proton, which can be assumed to have radius of 1.3fm.
c) Helium can not form negative ions with electrons, although hydrogen can. Is it possible to form negatively charged helium atom if you try attach a myon to the atom?

Homework Equations

a) [tex] r_{n} = \frac{\epsilon_{0} \cdot h^2\cdot n^2}{\pi\cdot \mu \cdot e^2\cdot Z}= 2.56034\cdot 10^{-13}m[/tex]

radius of the proton
[tex] r_{p}= 1.3\cdot 10^{-15}[/tex]

b) not sure if I that is correct how to calculate that fraction...
[tex] \frac{2.56043\cdot 10^{-13}}{1.3\cdot 10^{-15}}= 196.9492[/tex]
now the fraction of the muon which is located in the proton will be

[tex] 196.9492 \cdot 2.56043\cdot 10^{-13}= 5.04275\cdot10^{-11}[/tex] ? is that correct?

c) I have just found some publications where actually such atoms have been formed, where muons where stuck to helium atoms forming negative charged atoms.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
b) I think that's okay. Part b) is kind of strange because by the Bohr model there is no actual overlap because he assumed a planetary style of orbit. Quantum mechanics proved that wrong, and so you have probability densities that you have to consider, which even apply to multiple states. But the nature of the question deals with the Bohr model, so I don't know. I would do what you did. :)

c) Seems like it could be done. It's an interesting problem from the perspective of particle physics. Looks like you found some people who have done this, so looks like you're good.

Your answer to part (b) can't be right. If you keep track of the units in the calculation, you'll see why.

However, I agree with Mindscrape that the question (part b) is kind of confusing. My issue is that it doesn't say whether it wants the fraction of volume that is enclosed within the proton, or the fraction of muon probability density, or something else. In the latter case you would have to know (or assume) the state of the atom.

Hi! Thank you both for your replies.
Well I have no idea how part b should be calculated, I suspected my answer was wrong...but had no other solution to that part...
I guess the question to part b does not involve complicated calculations since this is not an advance course but I just do not know how to calculate that fraction. Does anyone has any idea how this fraction can be calculated?

I guess the atom is in its ground state...

When I compare Bohrs radius and the calculated one for the muonic atom I can see that muonic radius is much smaller, that means that the muon is much closer to the nuclei than electron.
I found an interview where a scientisct from CERN claimed that the muon actually can pass through the nuclei (proton in my model)

Last edited:
Here's my question: have you learned (or could you be reasonably expected to look up) the wavefunction for hydrogen in its ground state? If so, the problem may be asking you to find the probability that the muon has a position within the proton. I would suggest asking your instructor to clarify what that part of the problem means.

By the way, even in normal hydrogen, the electron can be found within the nucleus (proton), but the probability of that happening is a lot smaller than with muonic hydrogen.

1. What is a hydrogen atom?

A hydrogen atom is the smallest and simplest atom, consisting of a single proton in its nucleus and one electron in orbit around the nucleus.

2. What is muon substitution in a hydrogen atom?

Muon substitution involves replacing the electron in a hydrogen atom with a muon, which is a heavier and more unstable particle. This can alter the properties and behavior of the atom.

3. How is helium muon fusion different from regular helium fusion?

Helium muon fusion is a nuclear reaction in which a helium nucleus (containing two protons and two neutrons) fuses with a muon to form a new element. This process is similar to regular helium fusion, but the use of a muon instead of an electron can lead to different outcomes.

4. What is the purpose of studying helium muon fusion?

Studying helium muon fusion can provide insight into the fundamental properties and interactions of subatomic particles. It may also have practical applications in energy production and nuclear physics research.

5. What are the potential benefits of harnessing helium muon fusion as an energy source?

If successfully harnessed, helium muon fusion could provide a nearly limitless and clean source of energy. It would also produce much less radioactive waste than traditional nuclear energy processes.