Using a MAF sensor for a non-automotive

• Automotive
  • Thread starter robs314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a mass flow rate of air passing through a chamber in relation to a gas sensor and the potential use of an automobile MAF sensor for cost-effectiveness. There are questions about calibration and the storage of a map on the sensor or the car's ECU. The person asking for help clarifies that electronics are not their strong suit.
robs314
Hi

I need to know the mass flow rate of air passing through a chamber which houses an NDIR sensor, so I can relate that to the quantity of a particular gas passing through.
I was just wondering whether using an automobile MAF sensor (hot wire) would be wise. If it could be used, it would be very cost effective. Thing is, I am not sure how difficult it would be to calibrate. Is the output directly proportional, or does it follow some kind of map? And if so, is the map stored on the sensor itself or the car's ECU?

If anyone can help that would be great. Electronics aren't my forte

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pretty sure it is stored on the ECU.

1. What is a MAF sensor and how does it work?

A MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is a device used to measure the amount of air entering an engine. It works by using a heated wire or film to detect the change in air flow, which is then converted into an electrical signal and sent to the engine control unit.

2. Can a MAF sensor be used for non-automotive applications?

Yes, a MAF sensor can be used for various non-automotive applications such as in industrial processes, HVAC systems, and even in medical devices. As long as the sensor is properly calibrated and the air flow is within its range of measurement, it can be used in a variety of settings.

3. What are the benefits of using a MAF sensor for non-automotive applications?

Using a MAF sensor can provide accurate and real-time measurements of air flow, which can be crucial in maintaining optimal performance and efficiency in various systems. It also allows for better control and adjustment of air flow, resulting in cost savings and improved overall performance.

4. Are there any limitations to using a MAF sensor for non-automotive purposes?

While a MAF sensor can be used in various applications, it is important to note that it is designed specifically for measuring air flow in engines. This means that it may not be suitable for measuring other types of gases or fluids. Additionally, extreme temperatures or harsh environments may affect the accuracy and functionality of the sensor.

5. How do I choose the right MAF sensor for my non-automotive application?

There are various factors to consider when choosing a MAF sensor for non-automotive purposes, such as the desired measurement range, accuracy requirements, and compatibility with the system. Consulting with an expert or doing thorough research on the different types and specifications of MAF sensors can help in making an informed decision.