Longitude and Latitude to Distances

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of longitudinal and lateral displacement from longitude and latitude values obtained from a GPS. It is mentioned that this can be a complex task due to the varying values at different points on a globe. A helpful Google search is suggested and a formula is provided to calculate the distance between two points. The individual then asks for assistance in splitting the distance into lateral and longitudinal components, using the course obtained from their GPS signal. They propose using trigonometry to calculate the other two legs of the triangle.
Hemib
Hi,

How can I calculate the longitudinal and lateral displacement from the longitude and latitude in degrees from a GPS.

Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not easily.

When it comes to a globe, the values at the equator are at their maximum whilst they tend to zero towards the poles.

You would need to allow for this in order to gain meaningful data. From the outset, it looks rather complex for the purpose you require.

Thanks for reactions!

I now have a formula to calculate the traveled distance between two points. But I want to split this in a lateral and longitudinal distance. So what I have is an right triangle with the calculated distance equals the hypotenuse. What I want are the distances over the other 2 legs of the triangle.

My GPS signal gives me the course I'm heading. Is this the angle in triangle between the hypotenuse and the lateral distance? If it is, I can easy calculate the other 2 legs with sinus and cosinus.

Thx

1. What is the difference between longitude and latitude?

Longitude and latitude are both components of geographic coordinates used to specify locations on Earth. Longitude measures the east-west position of a point on the Earth's surface, while latitude measures the north-south position.

2. How are longitude and latitude coordinates determined?

Longitude and latitude coordinates are determined using a grid system. The equator is used as the reference line for latitude, with lines of latitude running parallel to it. The prime meridian is used as the reference line for longitude, with lines of longitude running perpendicular to it.

3. How does one calculate the distance between two points using longitude and latitude coordinates?

The distance between two points can be calculated using the Haversine formula, which takes into account the curvature of the Earth. This formula uses the longitude and latitude coordinates of the two points to calculate the distance between them.

4. What units are typically used to measure distance using longitude and latitude?

The Haversine formula typically outputs the distance between two points in kilometers. However, some calculations may use other units such as miles or nautical miles.

5. Can longitude and latitude be used to determine the exact location of a point on Earth?

Longitude and latitude coordinates can give an accurate approximation of a point's location on Earth, but they cannot determine the exact location. This is because the Earth is not a perfect sphere, so the Haversine formula and other distance calculations may have slight errors.