DIY Heater with Resistors: Help Needed

In summary, You need to clarify how you are connecting the resistors. You stated the voltage rating of your wire, but that really is not a critical parameter, according to this page 22 ga wire has a max of .92A. You need to figure out how much power you need. Then using Ohms law and the power relationships, figure out a resistance that will give you the power you the desired power given your voltage and current limitations.
levi99
DIY heater with resistors??! help please

Hi physics gurus, I have some questions I'm hoping someone with a kind enough heart can answer for me!

I am trying to build a small circular heater (similar to a dew heater for a telescope) with resistors. Basically I have 22 gauge rated 300volts hook-up wire, and i want to line up (between 40-50) 330 ohm, 1/2 watt resistors across it, and power it so it gets warm. Then wrap it in either electrical tape or something insulating.

My problem is in powering it-- I really need this to be portable, I can't use a 12V car battery! I'm thinking along the lines of some kind of R/C car battery or something else rechargeable similar to that size. How can I do this?? Is it possible with my current configuration or maybe if I switch the type of resistors I can use a 6.0 9.0 or 12.0 V R/C car battery?

I really appreciate any help anyone is able to offer. Much thanks

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to clarify how you are connecting the resistors. You stated the voltage rating of your wire, but that really is not a critical parameter, according to this page 22 ga wire has a max of .92A.

What you need to do is figure out how much power you need. Then using Ohms law and the power relationships, figure out a resistance that will give you the power you the desired power given your voltage and current limitations.

For example: you want 2 Watts and have a 12 V source.

P=IE tells us that your 22ga wire will do fine.

P = I2R tells us you need 72 Ohms resistance.

The fun part is now finding a combination of 330 ohm resistors which will yield 72 ohms.
For a parallel connection:
[tex]\frac 1 {R_T} = \frac 1 {R_1} + \frac 1 {R_2} +...+ \frac 1 {R_n}[/tex]

For a series connection

[tex] R_T = R_1 + R_2 + ... + R_n [/tex]

The parallel relationship tells us that 4 330Ohm resistors will be very close.

this webpage is the basic model I am following:

http://www.gbronline.com/ronkeating/heaters/heaters.html

the pictures there show exactly how I plan on wiring them, in series (right?).

I'm not sure exactly how many watts of power I need. It's going to be similar to the telescope dew heater, but about 7-8" long and it will be used to heat something brass instead. I can't use the RCA plug as that webpage shows because that's meant to be plugged into a controller box, which I don't want nor need.

I need whatever power source I use to work for at LEAST 2 hours, anymore than 3 hours is not necessary. I am still confused as what to try for a power source before I wire all these resistors and find out I need to be using different ones. Much thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
The link you provided, shows a parallel network. If you make an 8" heater as described it will consist of 12 resistors. A parallel network of 12 330 Ohm resistors will have a total resistance of 27.5 Ohms, on a 12 V battery it will draw .43A and produce about 5W. You could drive this with a bunch of D cells or as you suggest a motorcycle battery.

As for the battery rating you need .5 A for 3 hrs so you need at least 1.5 AHr. AHr or AMP Hours is a standard battery rating ask about it when you buy a battery.

Ok so I soldered on 12 resistors onto the copper wire and bought an eight AA battery holder. So I now have a 12V power supply and 12 resistors wired in parallel. When i apply power to it they all heat up as they're supposed to. My next question is how do I fuse this power source?? I will be adding an off/on switch but I know it should be fused. Any ideas?? thanks in advance

I'm going to be hooking up 2 of these gizmos up at the same time, the smaller one being 9 resistors. I'm guessing I can just hook the top wire up to the top and bottom wire up to the bottom to connect the strands and power them both from one source

1. How do I determine the appropriate resistors for my DIY heater?

The appropriate resistors for your DIY heater will depend on several factors such as the desired temperature, power source, and materials used. It is important to consult Ohm's Law and use a resistor calculator to determine the correct resistance value for your specific setup.

2. What is the best way to connect the resistors for my DIY heater?

The best way to connect the resistors for your DIY heater is in parallel. This will ensure that the resistance is divided evenly, and the resistors will not overheat. It is also important to use heat-resistant wiring and to securely connect the resistors to the power source.

3. How can I make my DIY heater more efficient?

To make your DIY heater more efficient, you can use high-quality resistors with a low tolerance level. You can also insulate the heater with materials such as ceramic or fiberglass to retain heat and reduce energy loss.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a DIY heater with resistors?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using a DIY heater with resistors. Make sure to use proper insulation, secure all connections, and monitor the temperature to prevent overheating. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby and never leave the heater unattended.

5. Can I use different types of resistors for my DIY heater?

Yes, you can use different types of resistors for your DIY heater. However, it is important to ensure that the resistors have the correct resistance value and wattage for your specific setup. It is also recommended to use high-quality resistors with a low tolerance level for better performance and safety.