Static charge density vs free charge density

In summary, a concentric solid and hollow metal sphere system filled with a dielectric material of relative permittivity 'ε' has a uniform static charge density 'ρ0' in the space between the spheres. This charge density is zero outside the spheres. In regards to the question about equating 'p0' to the free charge density 'pf', it should be noted that an insulator, like a dielectric, can have both surface and interior free charge in addition to bound charge due to polarization. Therefore, 'p0' can be equated to the free charge density 'pf' in this scenario.
superg33k

Homework Statement

A solid metal sphere of radius 'a' is concentric with a hollow metal sphere of inner radius '2a'. The space between the spheres is filled with a dielectric material of relative permittivity 'ε' carrying a uniform static charge density 'ρ0'. The charge density is zero outside the spheres.

My question:

In the answers at the back of my book 'p0' is equated to the free charge density 'pf'. Shouldn't it be equated to charge density?

I know I'm getting hung up on the wording but it might show a large gap in my understanding of dielectrics.

Homework Equations

Charge density = free charge density + bound charge density

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi superg33k! :smile:

as you know, an insulator can have a surface charge, and that will be free charge exactly the same as the free surface charge of a conductor …

unlike a conductor (in equilibrium), an insulator can also have free charge in the interior in the same way as it has on the surface (nothing to do with polarisation)

and "dielectric" is just a fancy word for "insulator"! :biggrin:

(the dielectric may of course also have some bound charge, due to polarisation, in the interior)

What is static charge density?

Static charge density refers to the amount of electric charge that is present in a particular region of space and is not able to move or flow. It is typically measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter.

What is free charge density?

Free charge density refers to the amount of electric charge that is present in a particular region of space and is able to move or flow. It is typically measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter.

How are static and free charge densities related?

Static charge density and free charge density are related by the fact that they both refer to the amount of electric charge in a given region of space. However, they differ in terms of their ability to move or flow, with free charge density having the ability to do so and static charge density not.

What is the significance of static charge density in materials?

Static charge density plays a significant role in the behavior of materials. It can determine how well a material conducts electricity, as well as its ability to attract or repel other materials. In materials with high static charge density, static electricity can build up and cause shocks or sparks.

How is static charge density measured?

Static charge density can be measured using specialized equipment such as a surface potentiometer or an electrostatic voltmeter. These instruments can detect the electric field around a material and calculate the static charge density based on the distance from the material's surface.