Solving the Homogeneous DE: x^2y'+y^2=xyy

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary: If you're interested in my y', it's y'(x)=xCe^{\frac{x^2}{2}}. I have no idea what's going on!Hey guys I still don't know what I did wrong. I posted my work in my last post and the answer doesn't satisfy the original DE...On the other hand I attacked the problem by a friend's approach. I divided the original DE by xy to get y' \left ( 1 - \frac{x}{y} \right ) -\frac{y}{x}=0. Then y'=\frac{y}{x} \cdot \frac{1}{1
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must solve [itex]x^2y'+y^2=xyy'[/itex].

Homework Equations

Not sure but I think that [itex]f(tx,ty)=t^nf(x,y)[/itex] could help.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first reflex was to define a new variable [itex]z=y^2[/itex] but I was stuck a few steps further.
So I checked out if it was homogeneous and I found out that yes it is, of order 2.
So I called a new variable [itex]v=y/x[/itex].
After some algebra, I reached [itex]v(x)=Ae^{\int \frac{x^2-1}{x}dx}[/itex] where A is a constant. Now to get y(x), I'd multiply v(x) by x.
I'm not asking if my result is correct (I might have made some errors but overall I think the method does work. I'll check the result tomorrow since it's already too late), rather if there's a nicer or faster way to solve the exercise.
What would you have done in order to solve the DE?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have absolutely no idea how you found it was exact and I have to leave soon.

My advice is to divide both sides by x^2 and see what you recognize. I have to sleep now my friend.

*disappears from the shadows*

It is a homogenous equation. Therefore, it should be alright if you substitute v=y/x

Well, both flyingpig and icystrike tell you this equation is homogenous and recommend the substitution v= y/x. But your post says that is exactly what you did!

The only question is why you left
[tex]\int \frac{x^2- 1}{x}dx= \int x dx- \int\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
as an integral rather than actually integrating it!

Thank you all guys, so my way was ok and it seems it's efficient.
flyingpig said:
I have absolutely no idea how you found it was exact and I have to leave soon.

My advice is to divide both sides by x^2 and see what you recognize. I have to sleep now my friend.

*disappears from the shadows*
Well I said "homogeneous", not exact. I guess you were tired like me. :)
icystrike said:
It is a homogenous equation. Therefore, it should be alright if you substitute v=y/x
I see. That's exactly what I've done so I'm happy it seems I'm grasping it.
HallsofIvy said:
Well, both flyingpig and icystrike tell you this equation is homogenous and recommend the substitution v= y/x. But your post says that is exactly what you did!

The only question is why you left
[tex]\int \frac{x^2- 1}{x}dx= \int x dx- \int\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
as an integral rather than actually integrating it!
Yes... about the integral, I was so tired that when I saw the quotient I didn't even think 1 s about solving the integral. Now that I look at it, it looks like a piece of cake.
Thanks once again guys, problem solved.

Hmm I'm turning insane.
I reached [itex]v(x)=\frac{C}{x}e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}[/itex] which indeed satisfy the DE [itex]x^2(xv'+v)+v^2x^2-x^2v(xv'+v)=0[/itex] as it should.
Now to get y(x), I thought I simply had to multiply v(x) by x, but this didn't work.
If I do so, I reach [itex]y(x)=Ce^{\frac{x^2}{2}}[/itex]. This doesn't satisfy the original DE... I really don't understand why.
The left hand side of the original DE becomes [itex]x^3Ce^{\frac{x^2}{2}}+C^2e^{x^2}[/itex]. The right hand side (which should be equal to the left hand side but isn't) is [itex]x^2C^2e^{x^2}[/itex].

If you're interested in my y', it's [itex]y'(x)=xCe^{\frac{x^2}{2}}[/itex]. I have no idea what's going on!

Hey guys I still don't know what I did wrong. I posted my work in my last post and the answer doesn't satisfy the original DE...
On the other hand I attacked the problem by a friend's approach.
I divided the original DE by xy to get [itex]y' \left ( 1 - \frac{x}{y} \right ) -\frac{y}{x}=0[/itex]. Then [itex]y'=\frac{y}{x} \cdot \frac{1}{1-\frac{x}{y}}[/itex] which is separable. I get the implicit solution for y: [itex]\frac{y}{x}-\ln \left ( \frac{y}{x} \right )=\ln x+C[/itex].
But I still haven't figured out my error(s) in my last post.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific solution methods for different types of equations.

What is the initial value problem for a differential equation?

The initial value problem for a differential equation involves finding a solution that satisfies the equation and also satisfies given initial conditions. This means finding the value of the function at a specific point or interval.

What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest order of derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation will have only the first derivative of the function, while a second-order differential equation will have the second derivative.

How can I check if a solution to a differential equation is valid?

To check if a solution to a differential equation is valid, you can substitute the solution into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also take the derivative of the solution and see if it matches the derivative in the original equation.