Smith Chart Question Inductive Reactance

• Thread starter binhexoctdec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactance
In summary, the problem involves a 12.5 m long, 100 Ω lossless transmission line with a load impedance of 50 + j110 Ω and a wavelength of 10 m. The question asks for the shortest distance from the load to the point on the line where the line impedance has its highest inductive reactance, which can be found by normalizing the load impedance and finding the point closest to the jω axis. The distance can then be calculated using the equation d = (X - 0.141)*λ, and the line impedance at this point is equal to the normalized load impedance.
binhexoctdec
Hello,

I'm a little new to Smith Charts and have been having difficulty trying answer this particular question below.

Homework Statement

The problem states there is a 12.5 m long, 100 Ω lossless transmission line terminated with a load impedance Zl = 50 + j110 Ω. The line is operating with a wavelength of λ = 10 m.

The question is split into parts but the particular part I'm having difficulty with is asking for the shortest distance (d) from the load to the location on the line where the line impedance has it's highest inductive reactance. It also asks for the line impedance at that point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I went through the process of normalizing Zl and drawing the circle of constant reflection coefficient magnitude to answer the previous parts of the question but in this case I am stumped.

I know that distance (d) = (X - 0.141)*λ , where X is some wavelength value towards the generator and λ = 10 m. The 0.141 value is the wavelength value of the normalized Zl toward the generator. I guess the question comes down to how to obtain X?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The highest inductive reactance in the load will be at the point where the load impedance is closest to the jω axis. In this case, that point is at 50 + j100 Ω. Therefore, X = 0.1, and d = (0.1 - 0.141)*10 m = -4 m. The line impedance at this point would be equal to the normalized load impedance, which is 50 + j110 Ω.

1. What is the Smith Chart?

The Smith Chart is a graphical tool used in electrical engineering to analyze and design radio frequency circuits. It is a polar plot that maps the reflection coefficient of a load impedance onto a normalized impedance plane.

2. What is inductive reactance on the Smith Chart?

Inductive reactance is represented on the Smith Chart as a clockwise arc from the center towards the outer edge, with its magnitude increasing as it moves away from the center. It represents the opposition to the flow of current in an inductive circuit.

3. How is inductive reactance calculated on the Smith Chart?

Inductive reactance is calculated by multiplying the frequency of the circuit by the inductance of the component. On the Smith Chart, the inductive reactance can be read directly from the chart using the normalized impedance value.

4. What is the relationship between inductive reactance and frequency on the Smith Chart?

The relationship between inductive reactance and frequency on the Smith Chart is directly proportional. As the frequency increases, so does the inductive reactance. This is because the higher the frequency, the shorter the wavelength, and the more inductive the circuit becomes.

5. How can the Smith Chart be used to analyze inductive circuits?

The Smith Chart can be used to analyze inductive circuits by plotting the load impedance and the source impedance on the chart and then finding the intersection of the two points. By using this intersection point, the designer can determine the reflection coefficient and the impedance of the circuit at that specific frequency. This information can then be used to adjust the circuit parameters for optimal performance.