DC motor armature winding question

In summary, rewinding a burned up winch motor can be done by replicating the pattern of the old motor's winding and understanding how it was wound. There are various schemes for winding, such as "lap" or "wave" wound. The wires in the armature skip two channels and come back in the third one clockwise from its start. It is important to secure the conductors against movement to prevent them from being thrown into the magnets and causing damage. Making a wooden template to wind the coils on can also be helpful in preventing damage to the wire insulation.
tundrawolf
Hello,

I am rewinding the armature for a burned up winch motor. This tutorial ( http://scootersupport.com/motorrewind.htm ) shows basically the exact same motor (but for scooters). The picture
motor5.jpg
shows the armature.

My question is, please help me to understand- each coil around the armature is 5 channels wide, so wouldn't the route be 1-2-48-4 instead of 1-2-3-4, because 2-4 makes only 4 channels, when there should be 5?

Engineering news on Phys.org
i suggest you unwind the old motor carefully and understand how it was wound, replicate that pattern.

there's various schemes - "lap" or "wave" wound

and it might make more than one turn before returning to next commutator segment.

The diagram below shows what happens to the wire when it goes through the slot to the other end of the armature.

In fact, each coil skips two channels and comes back in the third one clockwise from its start.

Start from commutator slot 1 (at the top) and work around following the arrows.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/armature%20winding.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Than you very much for the information. The problem is that the wires were so burned up, I managed to get an idea on how the wires were wound, but that's about it. I know that in my particular motor, I had 8 wraps of wire par coil, and each coil was spread across 5 channels, using two channels with 3 empty channels in the center.

vk6kro, thank you for taking the time to draw that. Looking at it like that, my armature is a little different. It looks like my coils use 5 channels, and this drawing uses only 4. I will have to adjust for that.

This isn't your armature?

The idea should be similar, though.

If you take the loop between points 2 and 3, there would be a number of turns of wire down the same two channels before it makes a connection at each end.

However it is usually a simple pattern repeated many times, so you may be able to salvage enough of your winding to rewind it. It doesn't matter that the wires were burnt, you can still work off the copper.

Good luck. Rewinding motors is a fast track to insanity.

I am starting to see that! I have a very similar armature out of a small starter motor but it looks like it has 2 different wraps, one going one way, and another going the other way, instead of wound in one big rotation.

I did try repairing the burned up wires. It worked, actually, for about a second, then the rotational force of the armature threw the wires into the magnets and tore it up. It still worked, though even after that.

indeed vk6kro speaks truth. it will be a repetitive pattern.

the end view drawing is handy

but it might be useful for you to make a linear drawing, if only to crystallize it in your mind.

take a LONG sheet of paper - i use freezer paper, plastic on one side and white paper on other

- and draw all the slots of your rotor as if you had unwrapped (skinned) it and nailed the skin to a plank. add commutator segments as in a top view...

now start drawing your wires as you found them on the rotor , from commutator through whatever slots it traverses back to commutator, and your 5 slot pattern should soon emerge.

it will be a very regular pattern .

successful rewind deserves an award - a set of wings or something.

old jim

I did try repairing the burned up wires. It worked, actually, for about a second, then the rotational force of the armature threw the wires into the magnets and tore it up. It still worked, though even after that.

yes - it's important to secure the conductors against movement. i used spar varnish and braided dacron fishing line - not the cheap monofilament but good tournament line, 40 lb i think. just be aware that the actual force is pushing on the conductors, that's why they're wound tight and in bigger machines held by blocks. i used thick marine varnish sort of as a filler to make a solid mass of the windings and the fishing line as wrap around ends to hold them in against centrifugal..

i notice your picture has sixteen rotor slots and four brushes.
you said in your armature the coil spans five slots? Maybe there's twenty slots, 5 per brush vs 4? look for the rhythm in how it's wound.

I have a very similar armature out of a small starter motor but it looks like it has 2 different wraps, one going one way, and another going the other way, instead of wound in one big rotation.
do some research on lap vs wave wound , it sounds like that's what you're seeing.

old jim

Another essential trick is to make a wooden (or other) template to wind your coils on.

This allows you to wind the coils outside the motor and just press them into position.

Winding coils directly into the slots runs the risk of scraping the insulation off the wire in places and causing future troubles with short circuits, corrosion and arcing.

When you pull it to bits, preserve all the little bits of insulation you can. Especially the ones that go across the top of the gap to stop the coils spinning out and hitting the field coil metal.

1. What is a DC motor armature winding?

A DC motor armature winding is a crucial component of a DC motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a series of coils wound around an iron core, which is connected to the motor's shaft. When an electrical current is passed through the armature winding, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the motor's permanent magnets, causing the shaft to rotate and produce mechanical power.

2. How does the armature winding affect the performance of a DC motor?

The design and quality of the armature winding can greatly impact the performance of a DC motor. The number of coils, their arrangement, and the type of wire used can affect factors such as the motor's speed, torque, and efficiency. A well-designed and properly wound armature can result in a more powerful and efficient motor.

3. Can the armature winding be replaced or repaired?

In most cases, yes, the armature winding can be replaced or repaired if it becomes damaged or worn out. However, this process can be complex and should only be done by a trained professional. The winding must be carefully removed and replaced with the same type and size of wire to ensure proper functioning of the motor.

4. What is the difference between lap winding and wave winding?

Lap winding and wave winding are two common types of armature winding used in DC motors. Lap winding involves connecting all the armature coils in parallel, resulting in a lower voltage and higher current output. Wave winding, on the other hand, connects the armature coils in a series, resulting in a higher voltage and lower current output. The choice between these two winding types depends on the desired speed and torque of the motor.

5. Can the direction of rotation of a DC motor be changed by altering the armature winding?

Yes, the direction of rotation of a DC motor can be changed by reversing the polarity of the armature winding. This can be done by switching the connections of the positive and negative terminals of the armature winding to the power supply. As a result, the magnetic field created by the armature winding will interact with the motor's permanent magnets in the opposite direction, causing the motor to rotate in the opposite direction.