Why are there so few physics majors?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Wheelwalker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges and rewards of being a physics major, including the difficulty of the subject and the time and effort required. The question of why there are so few physics majors is also raised, with potential factors such as the uncertain career outlook and the stereotype of physics majors being highly intelligent but socially awkward. The conversation also touches on the potential career options for physics majors and the perception that physics is a difficult subject.
The reason I picked electrical engineering with a physics minor rather than a physics or math major was almost entirely because of career outlook. I talked to people in all three departments, and the answers I got in the math/physics departments to "What can I do with this degree?" were sketchy at best. The impression I got was that while there are great career paths, you'll have to work your butt off for them, and even then you can't be certain you'll end up doing something directly related to your major. What solidified my decision was when I realized there are some very physics/math heavy areas of electrical engineering. I realized that just because most engineers shy away from theoretical physics and math doesn't mean that that's a requirement for engineering. So in engineering with a physics minor, I get most of the theory that I'm interested in, but because I learn how to apply it to design problems, I'm more marketable to an employer. That's not to say that it's impossible to get a good job as a physics major, it just seems like an engineering degree is much safer career-wise. (If you're looking strictly for technical positions)

Physics news on Phys.org
genericusrnme said:
You've got no idea how many times people have said I must be able to do sums in my head because I've told them I study maths and physics -.-
One of the signs of a good mathematician is a complete inability to balance his checkbook!

Herricane said:
I agree. People always tell me that I must be good with numbers.

Yes! It's the same with me. I usually just look at them with a blank stare lol. There are a lot of numbers to remenber though, so I guess a person would have to be good with numbers.

Last edited:
I wish the member twofish-quant still posted here. After reading several of his posts in various threads, it seems like he chose physics for reasons extremely similar to why I am now...

A Physic major can also be an engineer, but the same doesn't hold true visa versa