What kind of math notation is this?

• Thread starter muffinman123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of index notation in expressing equations and functions concisely, with an example of two distinct functions and their domains and codomains. It also mentions the use of two indexes on each object and how it simplifies the expression of a list of equations. It is clarified that the language used is LaTeX, which is commonly used on this forum.
muffinman123
what kind of math language is this?

$I\subset \reals$
$$\gamma_i:I_i\rightarrow M,\quad I_i\subset\reals,\quad i=1,2$$
$\sigma_{\alpha\beta}$ , let $$\rJ\sigma_{\alpha\beta}:V_{\alpha\beta}\rightarrow \Mat_{n,n}(\reals)$$

I have seen this notation thrown around in this forum, but I never understood what they mean.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is index notation in order to express concisely a list of many equations or functions.
For example, the first line that you write states that there are two distinct functions γ1 and γ2 such that γ1 maps I1 into M where I1 is a subset of the real numbers and γ2 maps I2 into M where I2 is a subset of the real numbers.
The arrow notation defines the domain and codomain of the function: I1 is the domain of γ1 and M is the codomain.
The second set of notation has two indexes on each object; each index is taken to vary independently. For example, if the restrictions on α and β were explicitly given as α = 1, 2 and β = 1, 2, then the expression is a concise way of expressing the following list of expressions:
[tex]\text{For }\sigma_{11},\text{ let }J\sigma_{11} : V_{11}\rightarrow\text{Mat}_{n, n}(\Re)[/tex]
[tex]\text{For }\sigma_{12},\text{ let }J\sigma_{12} : V_{12}\rightarrow\text{Mat}_{n, n}(\Re)[/tex]
[tex]\text{For }\sigma_{21},\text{ let }J\sigma_{21} : V_{21}\rightarrow\text{Mat}_{n, n}(\Re)[/tex]
[tex]\text{For }\sigma_{22},\text{ let }J\sigma_{22} : V_{22}\rightarrow\text{Mat}_{n, n}(\Re)[/tex]
In words, the sentence defines a list of 4 functions Jσ_ab that maps each respective space V_ab into the set of nxn matrices with real components. In particular, this means that Jσ_12 takes an element of V_12 as an input and returns an nxn matrix with real components as an output. The explicit operation performed by the function on those elements of V_12 is not specified in this expression.

alright, let me make this question simpler, what language is this?
is it latex?

Yes. You can learn more about how it is used on this forum here.

Can you explain it to me?

The notation provided is a mixture of set theory, calculus, and linear algebra notation. The first line, $I\subset \reals$, indicates that the set $I$ is a subset of the set of real numbers, denoted by $\reals$. The next line introduces a function $\gamma_i$ that maps a subset $I_i$ of the real numbers to a set $M$. The notation $I_i\subset\reals$ specifies that $I_i$ is a subset of the real numbers, and the notation $i=1,2$ indicates that there are two separate functions $\gamma_1$ and $\gamma_2$ being discussed.

The next line introduces a symbol $\sigma_{\alpha\beta}$, which could represent a variety of mathematical objects such as a matrix, a function, or a set. Without more context, it is difficult to determine the exact meaning of this notation. The final line introduces a map $\rJ\sigma_{\alpha\beta}$ that takes a set $V_{\alpha\beta}$ and maps it to the set of $n\times n$ matrices with real entries, denoted by $\Mat_{n,n}(\reals)$.

Overall, this notation is a way to represent mathematical concepts and relationships using symbols and mathematical notation. It is important to have a solid understanding of mathematical notation in order to effectively communicate and understand mathematical concepts.

What kind of math notation is this?

The most frequently asked question about math notation is what type of notation is being used. This can refer to the specific symbols or expressions being used, as well as the overall system or language of math notation.

How do I read this notation?

Another common question is how to interpret or read a specific mathematical notation. This could involve understanding the meaning of symbols, the order of operations, or the overall structure of the expression.

Why is this notation used?

Many people also want to know the purpose or reasoning behind a specific mathematical notation. This could be related to its efficiency, its historical significance, or its unique features compared to other notations.

Can I use this notation in my own work?

Some individuals may be interested in using a particular math notation in their own research or writing. This question could involve the legality or proper citation of using someone else's notation, or simply asking for permission to use it.

Where can I find more information about this notation?

Lastly, people may want to know where they can learn more about a specific math notation. This could involve finding additional resources or references to understand its use, history, or applications.