Afrotc Pilot slot. Aerospace vs Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation is about a female high school senior who wants to become an Air Force pilot. She is currently in ROTC and is wondering what steps she should take in college to secure a pilot slot. She asks if she needs flight hours and how she could obtain them. She also mentions her dilemma between studying aerospace or mechanical engineering, and asks if one major is more likely to get her a pilot slot. The speaker then shares their experience of considering joining the US Navy as a pilot and how they prioritize an engineering degree and physical fitness. They also mention that being an officer requires more than just good grades. Finally, they clarify that flight hours are not necessary but can be beneficial.
elu22
I am a female seniour in high school and i really really want to become and Air force pilot. I'm doing rotc and i was wondering what steps i could take when i start college to secure a pilot slot. Would i need flight hours and how could I get them?

Also, I cannot decide between aerospace or mechanical engineering. Is one major more likely to get me a slot than the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
I considered joining the US Navy to be a pilot when young. During the discussion phase I discovered they cared nothing for the content of my degree, they only wanted someone who had an engineering degree. This was their litmus test for intelligence and analytical thought (and possible 3-dimensional thinking) that they considered of premium value in order to fly high performance aircraft. Oh, and they frothed at the mouth over my 20-15 vision.

I declined.

Thank you. Did you have to get flight hours before they choose you?

I moonlight as an officer in the Guard. To have first dibs on your choice of MOS (or AFSC), make sure train to run really fast and do lots of push-ups and situps. Ensure that you participate in extracurricular activities (sports is a good one) and serve in a leadership role (such as team captain). Being an officer is more than getting A's.

No, no flight hours necessary. They teach you that stuff. Doesn't hurt to have it, though.

1. What is the difference between an Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering degree?

An Aerospace Engineering degree focuses specifically on the design, development, and maintenance of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. This includes aerodynamics, flight mechanics, propulsion, and structures. On the other hand, Mechanical Engineering covers a broader range of topics, including the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, such as engines, turbines, and vehicles. Both degrees have overlapping coursework, but Aerospace Engineering has a more specialized focus on aerospace applications.

2. Can I become a pilot through an Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering degree?

While both degrees can provide a foundation for a career as a pilot, they do not guarantee a pilot slot. To become a pilot in the Air Force, you must apply for and be accepted into the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) program and meet all the necessary requirements, including passing a physical and completing flight training. Your degree can make you a more competitive candidate, but it is not the only factor considered.

3. How competitive is it to obtain a pilot slot through AFROTC?

The competition for a pilot slot in AFROTC is high, with only a limited number of slots available each year. The selection process takes into account academic performance, physical fitness, leadership potential, and other qualifications. It is essential to stay physically fit, maintain a high GPA, and participate in extracurricular activities to increase your chances of being selected for a pilot slot.

4. What are the job prospects for Aerospace and Mechanical Engineers in the Air Force?

Both Aerospace and Mechanical Engineers have a wide range of job opportunities in the Air Force, including roles in research and development, maintenance, and operations. However, the demand for Aerospace Engineers is generally higher due to their specialized skills and knowledge in aerospace systems. Mechanical Engineers can also work in aerospace-related roles, but they may have a broader range of job options in other industries as well.

5. How can I prepare for a career as a pilot in the Air Force while pursuing an Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering degree?

To prepare for a career as a pilot in the Air Force, you should focus on maintaining a high GPA, staying physically fit, and gaining leadership experience through extracurricular activities. You can also join organizations like the Student Aerospace Association or participate in internships or co-op programs to gain hands-on experience in the field. Additionally, it is essential to stay informed about the requirements and application process for AFROTC and consult with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to meet all the necessary qualifications.