Help Save a Patient's Life: Calculating Infected Cells

• Thread starter Persefone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells Life
In summary, Persefone is suggesting that you look for a book on virology to find the equations for calculating the rate of change in cell count.
Persefone
A patient caught an influenza for example and the virus is killing him.
In his blood, there are fights against the virus and let say, one infected cell can infect also other neighboring cells. Do you know what and how can I set up a rule to calculate the numbers of healthy cells after 't time' observing the test blood through a microscope ? Please help me quick quickly please, I am so sleepy...I need to see some answers before I can go to bed and sleep tight...
Thanks,
--persefone

Biology news on Phys.org
Do a count in a blood test, then a certain measure of time later do another count with a fresh blood test and figure out how many more cells are infected to determine a rate of change then you can graph it and determine how long the patient has until too many cells are destroyed and he's done. Time would be the x axis.

Persefone, if you're asking homework questions here, you have to show us what your thoughts are about the answer first, then we can prompt you toward finding the correct answer yourself. We can't just do your homework for you, it's against board policy and won't help you learn.

That question is not mine, I stole from the internet I forgot the address to give you already.
Next time on I promise I will copy even the address so say, speak by the book, for you all to believe me.
But as far as I know, I think it is impossible to count by eyes how many cells died and how many cells left just by a microscope, don't you agree ? I just thought there would be some mathematical formula for me to calculate it better or maybe a rule set up by some famous people in cell biology to give immediate results if the variables for that formula were known...well, just something like that. Do you know of anything related as hints, perhaps ?

What you would be looking for would be a variation of the Logistic Equation, a first-order differential equation.

The exact form of the equation will depend upon the initial dose, virulence, state of immunity, etc. Look in a virology book and you will find the equations/graphs that you seek.

There are a number of ways for experimentally determining these things. People will count cells under a microscope, and stain them to see viral particles. Also, a cell culture's growth will come to a halt when treated with a virus, and this can be measured by doing a protein assay, for example.

A good book on biochemical virology is what you seek, me thinks.

What is the purpose of "Help Save a Patient's Life: Calculating Infected Cells"?

The purpose of the project is to develop a mathematical model to calculate the number of infected cells in a patient's body. This information can be used to determine the severity of the infection and guide treatment decisions.

What factors are involved in calculating the number of infected cells?

The factors involved in the calculation include the initial number of infected cells, the rate of cell replication, and the rate of cell death. Other variables such as the efficiency of the immune response and the effectiveness of treatment may also be considered.

How accurate is the mathematical model used in this project?

The accuracy of the model depends on the quality and completeness of the data used to develop it. With accurate and relevant data, the model can provide a reliable estimate of the number of infected cells. However, it is important to note that the model is a simplification of a complex biological process and may not always reflect the real-world scenario perfectly.

How can the information from this project be used in medical practice?

The information from this project can be used to guide treatment decisions for patients with infections. By knowing the number of infected cells and how they are changing over time, doctors can determine the best course of action to effectively treat the infection and save the patient's life.

Are there any limitations to this project?

As with any scientific model, there are limitations to this project. The model may not accurately reflect the unique characteristics of each individual patient, and therefore, the results should not be used as the sole basis for treatment decisions. Additionally, the model may need to be updated as new information and data become available.