This problem is driving me NUTS

• Thread starter StaticShock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuts
In summary, the problem is about an object with 20 grams of mass swinging horizontally with a 2 meter radius, making 10 rotations in 12 seconds. The question is how much faster the stopper needs to be spun to increase the tension of the string by a factor of 4. The formula Fc=M(V^2)/R is used, with mass and radius staying the same. The only thing that needs to change is the velocity. The solution involves finding the period of motion, angular velocity, and using the formula Fc=Mw^2r to calculate the initial force. The answer is exactly 2 times the initial velocity.
StaticShock
Alright here's the problem. An object that has 20 grams of mass and is siwnging horizontally with a 2 meter ratius. it makes 10 rotations within 12 seconds.

the question is How many times faster would the stopper have to be spun to increase the tention of the string by a factor of 4?

now, i know Fc=M (V sq'ed)/R.

Mass stays the same, so does the radious(I belive) and the tention force is = to FC so fc has to be increased by a factor of 4 . So the only real thing to change is the V.

I just don't see how.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you just answered your own question...

"how much faster does the stopper have to be spun" not how do you make it spin faster?

yes, but i don't know how to do it

Do I can't simply multiply V by 4 as the Square would throw it off

well i actually worked it out through the full calculations but there is a much simpler way i noticed afterwards.. Anyhoo

I started by finding the period of the motion

T = 10/12

Then the angular velocity
w = 2pi/T

then it was really plug and chug.

Fc = Mw^2r
Fc = 2.23 or somewhere around that, did in head soz.

Now you know your Force, multiply that by 4 and solve for V.

answer should be exactly 2x the intial velocity.

1. What is causing this problem?

The source of a problem can vary greatly depending on the specific situation. It could be a technical issue, a misunderstanding, or a lack of resources. It's important to thoroughly analyze the problem and gather relevant information to determine the root cause.

2. How can I solve this problem?

The solution to a problem will also depend on the specific situation. It may involve troubleshooting, conducting experiments, or seeking guidance from others. It's important to approach problem-solving with a clear and logical mindset.

3. Can this problem be prevented in the future?

In many cases, problems can be prevented by implementing preventative measures. This could include setting up systems or processes to catch potential issues early on, or addressing underlying causes of the problem. It's important to reflect on the problem and determine if there are steps that can be taken to prevent it from happening again.

4. How long will it take to solve this problem?

The amount of time it takes to solve a problem can vary greatly. It may depend on the complexity of the issue, the availability of resources, and the effectiveness of the problem-solving approach. It's important to have patience and persistence when working through a problem.

5. Will solving this problem benefit me in the long run?

Solving a problem can have numerous benefits, including personal growth, improved efficiency, and increased knowledge. It's important to remember that even if a problem is frustrating and time-consuming, the skills and experience gained from solving it can be valuable in the long run.