Constant Acceleration Downwards

by nate99
Tags: acceleration, constant
nate99
Aug25-13, 09:41 PM
P: 12
I remember being taught that, due to gravity, we are always accelerating downwards. But how do you explain it?

Gravity is constant, and even if we are at rest, if I step on a scale I still get a weight of my mass X acceleration due to gravity. My forces vertically are balanced (me on the ground and the ground on me), therefore I have a constant velocity of no motion in the vertical direction.

But if I have no motion in the vertical direction then there is no change in velocity. I just stay at zero for velocity. So then how is my body ACCELERATING downwards? I completely understand that as soon as I jump or step off of a ledge and there is nothing to push up on me, my velocity will accelerate at 9.8 m/s2 in the down direction. But it's hard to understand how an object at rest is actually accelerating in the downward direction, unless I got my concepts mixed up, which often happens.

Thanks for the help!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Drakkith
Aug25-13, 10:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,056
You aren't accelerating downwards while standing on the ground.
Gravity applies a force to your body, which would accelerate you at approximately 9.8 m/s2 if it could.
nate99
Aug26-13, 12:33 AM
P: 12
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
You aren't accelerating downwards while standing on the ground.
Gravity applies a force to your body, which would accelerate you at approximately 9.8 m/s2 if it could.
I see, I guess I just learned it wrong in the past. Thanks for correcting me

Register to reply