Nakahara Solution of problems in chapter 9.and 10.

• Thread starter Leeway
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems in chapters 9 and 10 of the book "Geometry Topology and Physics, Nakahara." The first problem is about the Whitney sum of two mobius strips and the identity of the transition matrices. The second problem involves a volume element and the Hopf invariant. The conversation also includes a recommendation to learn LaTex for mathematical expressions and a request for help with the solution of the Berry's phase.
Leeway
Hey all , I would need help about how to solve the problems in chapters 9 and 10 of Geometry Topology and Physics, Nakahara. 1. Why the Whitney sum of 2 Mobium Strips is a trivial bundle - I found the transition matrices to be the identity, -identity . SO not all of them are identity -> the bundle is not trivial as it has to be. 2. I have a volume element Omega_n of S^n normalized as integral(Omega_n) = 1. Let f be a smooth map : S^2n-1 to S^n and consider the pullback f^*Omega_n. Show that the pullback is closed and written as d(omega_n-1), where omega_n-1 is a n-1 form on S^2n-1. Then show that the Hopf invariant H(f)=Integral{(omega_n-1) /\ d(omega_n-1) } is independent of the choise of omega_n-1. Please help me I will appreciate it very much ! PS: If you knew the solution of the Berry`s phase in chapter 10 pls let me know also .. ;o) Have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Leeway. Welcome.

You have availed yourself of a great online resource. There are a lot of smart people here. I'm not one of them though. 210 posts and all of them questions. So its about time for me take a turn at answering one.

For the mobius strip question, picture the whitney sum as like a 2-bladed propeller attached to the line segment (circle) at its hub, each blade of the propellor is one instance of L. For the cylinder it just slides around as is. For the mobius strip, it might rotate 180 degrees at some point as it slides around, but it still looks the same. Therefore, the two cases are identical.

For problem #2, I would recommend working through a simple case, n=2 or 3, in explicit coordinates. Then you will probably see the result clearly and can apply it to the general case.

If you visit us often, learn LaTex, so you can do things like [tex]\int_{S_n}\Omega=1[/tex]

Thank you a lot for such a long reply, I appreciate it really , anyway I have to have the problems solved quite fast so no time for a cases like n=2,3 in explicit coordinates ;o/ and thank you for the whitney sum advice .. I see .. but the structure group (transition functions) by Mobius strip is G = {e,g}, where g maps the fiber t->-t how is it possible that all the transition functions of the whitney sum are identity maps ? .. and do not worry I know Latex but I did not know that it works here, thanks ;o) ;o)

I spent some more time thinking about the mobius strip/Whitney sum problem and I don't really understand it either. If you find out, please come back and share. - Todd

What is the Nakahara Solution of problems in chapter 9 and 10?

The Nakahara Solution is a mathematical method used to solve problems in chapter 9 and 10 of a textbook or course. It involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts and finding solutions for each part before combining them to solve the overall problem.

When should the Nakahara Solution be used?

The Nakahara Solution can be used for any problem in chapter 9 and 10 that requires a step-by-step approach and involves multiple variables or concepts. It is especially useful for problems that seem overwhelming or difficult to solve using traditional methods.

What are the benefits of using the Nakahara Solution?

The Nakahara Solution allows for a systematic and organized approach to problem-solving, making it easier to understand and solve complex problems. It also helps in developing critical thinking skills and can be applied to various fields of study.

Are there any drawbacks to using the Nakahara Solution?

One potential drawback of using the Nakahara Solution is that it may not be the most efficient method for solving certain types of problems. It also requires a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and may not be suitable for beginners or those who prefer a more intuitive approach to problem-solving.

Can the Nakahara Solution be used in real-life applications?

Yes, the Nakahara Solution can be applied to real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. It can also be used in everyday problem-solving, such as managing finances or planning a project.